Chapter 7

Upon returning to camp, they were greeted by Brightflower. Although she had just recently kitted, she looked as energetic as ever. The sun shimmered against her healthy orange and white tabby pelt. "Owlgaze," She meowed, waving her tail excitedly. "Featherstream just had her kits!"

Immediately, Owlgaze's green eyes widened with surprise and excitement. "Where is she?!"

"In the nursery, fluff-brain," Brightflower huffed bemusedly. "And she's asking for you as well, Hopeflame."

At Brightflower's words, Hopeflame stared at her in shock. Why would Featherstream want to see her? Especially at such an important moment? Ever since Stormblaze's death, Featherstream's shut her out of her life...for good reason. Hopeflame could still smell his blood after he died protecting her from Blackclaw and the other traitors.

Owlgaze didn't wait for her. He darted towards the nursery without second thought and she watched him duck inside. Brightflower followed after him, probably to tend to her kits. Hopeflame hesitated, unsure if she should follow.

"You know, Hopeflame," Sandstorm whispered softly to her, "I really think Featherstream misses her sister."

Brambleclaw nodded in agreement. He touched his nose to Hopeflame's cheek. "I think your mother is right: you're the closest thing to kin she has right now."

With their encouragement, Hopeflame decided that she would comply with Featherstream's wishes. She nuzzled both Brambleclaw and Sandstorm before padding towards the nursery. At the entrance, Hopeflame paused. She hasn't been inside a nursery since her kithood days, and it wouldn't be long until she joined the other queens inside.

Hopeflame disappeared inside and was blinded by the darkness. When her eyes finally adjusted, she could clearly take in the layout of the new den. It was large, much bigger than the old TigerClan den where she was raised.

The branches arched and intertwined overhead with brambles making up the majority of the den walls. Snow had covered the brush, so the snow acted as a natural insulator which made the nursery warm and inviting.

There were four large nests for the queens and their kits: Runningbrook, Brightflower, Ferncloud, and finally Featherstream. Hopeflame's gaze fell upon her sister who lay curled around two small kits in the back corner of the nursery. Owlgaze sat at her side, whispering excitedly to her. Featherstream purred at something he said then lifted her head to notice Hopeflame standing at the entrance.

"You came," Featherstream meowed with surprise.

Hopeflame offered a small smile then walked over. "Of course I came: you're my sister."

She neared the nest and peeked at the two little kits nestled in the curve of Featherstream's belly. Hopeflame took an involuntary sharp intake of breath at the sight of them. One was a tom and the other a she-kit. The she-kit was an exact replica of Featherstream, long-fur and all. The tom had a light brown tabby pelt like Owlgaze, except he also had a white face and belly.

"They look like you both," Hopeflame mewed, glancing at her brother and half-sister. That was enough to remind her of the tainted blood that ran through these two kits' veins. As much as it sickened Hopeflame to think about, they were still her niece and nephew...double-fold.

She watched as Featherstream gently licked them each as they nursed. "Owlgaze and I are naming our daughter Silverkit...after my mother." Then she lifted her blue eyes to look Hopeflame in the eye. "We want you to name our son."

All Hopeflame could do was stand there, dumbfounded. After Hopeflame's betrayal, why would Featherstream want her to name her son? That was an honor she never expected after the RiverClan Merge and Stormblaze's death.

"Why would you give me such an honor, Featherstream?" Hopeflame questioned, shaking her head. "I betrayed you."

Featherstream connected her gaze to Hopeflame's, seriousness settling in her blue orbs. "Hopeflame, I've forgiven you. You alone didn't conquer RiverClan or WindClan. Your claws didn't end Stormblaze's life. I realize that now."

Hopeflame didn't realize it, but tears trailed down her cheeks. She didn't know until now how much it meant to have Featherstream's forgiveness. It felt like a huge weight was lifted from her shoulders, like she could finally breath again.

"Thank you, Featherstream," Hopeflame stammered, struggling to speak through gasping breath. "I'm sorry."

Featherstream reaches up to brush her cheek against Hopeflame's. "You're my sister, Hopeflame. There's nothing you could do that I wouldn't forgive."

Owlgaze watched them with happiness flickering in his green eyes. "Now, a name for our son?" There was a teasing tone in his voice that she hasn't heard much since they were kits. Just like her, Owlgaze has been forced to grow up too soon under Tigerstar's pressure.

Hopeflame glanced at her brother and sister, then realized that Mapleheart and Free should be here, too. "One moment! I'll be right back!"

She emerged from the nursery with searching eyes. After a moment, she spotted Mapleheart eating a rabbit with Cinderpelt and Free sharing tongues with Skybreeze. Hopeflame trotted over to Free and Skybreeze, she couldn't hide the joyous feeling bubbling in her chest.

Free and Skybreeze looked up as she approached, and she noticed resentment in both their eyes. During her time in WindClan, Skybreeze had been welcoming to her, then she betrayed the clan. Hopeflame couldn't blame her for how she felt. And Free, too, felt the sting of her betrayal.

"Free, come with me to the nursery: Featherstream had her kits," Hopeflame explained. Maybe if he knew it was for their sister and not her, then he would come.

"Why should I care?" Free growled as he glared at her.

Hopeflame lashed her tail with annoyance. "Because she's our sister and Owlgaze is our brother."

For a moment, Free hesitated and seemed like he would argue further, but then he nodded. "Fine." He nodded to Skybreeze before following Hopeflame over to Mapleheart.

"Want to go see Owlgaze and Featherstream's kits?" Hopeflame asked cheerfully.

Mapleheart nodded enthusiastically. She glanced at Cinderpelt. "I'll be right back."

Cinderpelt purred, "Of course."

Hopeflame hadn't noticed, but Cinderpelt's tom-kit, Smokekit, laid at her side sleeping. She remembered when Brambleclaw told her that Cinderpelt had been forced to have kits with Jaggedtooth because of TigerClan's Code. Hopeflame couldn't imagine being forced to have kits against her will.

With Free and Mapleheart at her side, Hopeflame returned to the nursery. Inside they were greeted by warmth. Hopeflame padded towards Owlgaze and Featherstream where they waited expectantly. Owlgaze eyed Free suspiciously, but he didn't say anything. It was strange to think that they had a full-blooded brother that they never knew about until a moon ago.

"Have you thought of a name for him?" Featherstream asked, gesturing to the little tom kit.

"What did you name the she-kit?" Mapleheart questioned.

"Her name is Silverkit," Featherstream replied with a bittersweet smile. "After my mother: Silverstream."

Free nodded with approval and Mapleheart purred loudly. "They're both such strong-looking kits," Mapleheart commented with approval.

Hopeflame thought to herself as the others fawned over the two kits. They indeed were strong-looking kits, handsome and beautiful. Silverkit was a fitting name for the she-kit since Hopeflame knew how much Featherstream resented never knowing her mother. That gave her an idea!

"I know what to name the tom-kit!" Hopeflame exclaimed suddenly. The eyes of her siblings were all on her. "He should be named Stormkit...after Stormblaze."

Tears welled up in Featherstream's blue eyes as she thought of her brother. "That's perfect, Hopeflame, thank you."

The five of them stayed there for a while, admiring Silverkit and Stormkit. They didn't think about the Merges or Tigerstar's deadly reign. Hopeflame didn't think about the impossible task placed on her shoulders by StarClan. In that moment, they were just siblings enjoying the miracle of life.