Chapter 6 - Hello Again

November 26, 1987

Thanksgiving day was decent.  It was just Bob, Joyce and Will.  The turkey was good and Bob did a good job on the sides.  Will was stuffed.  The family was rushing to get everything cleaned up so Bob and Joyce could get to Indianapolis to fly out to NYC this evening.  Bob and his Mom were going to see Jonathan and his new girlfriend Samantha and then attend Joyce's play at the Granville Theatre on Friday night.  They will be back on Saturday.  Will could of went with, but he wanted to see Mike.

Joyce was on the phone as Will was wiping dry the last dish.  He heard Karen talking to his Mom.  Karen said that Will should just come over tonight and stay overnight so he didn't have to drive so early in the morning.  "So you're coming Sunday morning for breakfast Karen?"  Karen said yes and Will could tell his Mom wanted to see her.  "Here is my address..."  Joyce gave Karen the way to find them.  She hung up the phone and turned to Will.  "Here is some money for the weekend.  I would prefer if you eat out instead of cooking when we're gone."  Joyce handed Will $140.  Money has been easier to get ever since they moved to Bloomington.  "Thanks Mom."  Will got hugs from Bob and his Mom and they left in Bob's red Toyota car. 

Will left at 2 pm after packing a bag and locking all the doors.  His trusty Pinto took him East in search of a lost friendship and so much more.

Will listened to Top 40 pop on the radio.  Mason liked it and Will admitted he liked it also.  Jonathan had good musical taste, but British bands are only one sliver of the musical pie.  Will was in Hawkins again after one and a half hours of driving.  He stopped at Hagen's Mobil station to gas up and grab snacks for Mike and himself.  Will brought a couple movies he rented in Bloomington to play at Mike's for something to do.  After Will gassed up his car, he saw a familiar face wearing a green and white letterman's jacket.  "Byers, is that you?"  Will didn't recognize the dark skinned boy heading toward him.  He looked muscular and sported a high-top fade out.  "Lucas, how are you doing."  Lucas did some hand shaking gesture thing with Will.

"You need to work on that Byers" both boys laughed.  "Are you in sports?"  Will had his satin bomber jacket zipped down and a Property  of North High School track shirt shown through.  "Yes, I'm in track and cross-country.  I'm not as athletic as you though."  Will pointed at Lucas's multiple sports badges on his arm including basketball.  "Yeah, I'm needed on many teams due to my athletic abilities."  Both boys laughed at Lucas's bragging.  Will went into the store to buy stuff.

After Lucas following him around and looking at the snacks Will was buying, he asked why he was buying so much.  "Um, I'm going to Mike's house.  He invited me and we are going to see if we can be friends again."  Lucas had a disappointed look on his face.  Will brought his stuff up to the register where a dark brown haired man rang up his stuff.  "Are you stocking up for the long weekend?"  The guy with a shirt that said Tommy on it said.  "Uhh, I am bringing it to a friend's house."  Will told Tommy.

"This and the gas comes to $22.75.  Will pulled out $23 to pay Tommy.  "Will, you can't go to Mike's house.  He is not who he was before.  Come stay at my house instead, please man?"  Lucas acted like he cared and what was so bad about Mike.  Tommy looked at Will hard after he handed him his bag.  "Will, you mean you are Will Byers?  Holy crap, you are a urban legend in Hawkins now.  Carver said you were the start of all the troubles in Hawkins.  Were you here last spring just before the earthquake?"  Will was nervous now "um, no.  I haven't been in Hawkins since June of 1985.  I had nothing to do with your earthquake or anything else."  Will was kind of pissed now.  "It's true Tommy.  He hasn't been here until tonight."  Tommy looked at Will again "I agree with Sinclair here, you don't want to see that freak and his red haired bitch of a friend.  We didn't realize they were responsible for everything that happened."  Will couldn't believe it.  Lucas was agreeing with the biggest douche in Hawkins about their former friend.  Lucas was so tight with Mike last time they seen each other.  Now he hates him and Max which doesn't make any sense.