Chapter 2

7 years old

"How many times do I have to tell you? You can't go outside!"

Osamu and Minami were arguing again.

"Why not?" He asked. "It won't do any harm to-"

"NO, AND THAT'S FINAL!"

"But-"

"NO BUTS!" Our mother shrieked. "Don't you think we spent enough money on you two? Especially you!" I lowered my eyes as she glared at me.

"Tsuyuri can't help being sick," Osamu argued. "And it's not like you're doing anything about i-"

He winced as Minami smacks the back of his head.

"No talking back to your parents," She scolded. "And no dinner, either. You have a problem with that?"

Neither of us argued. We both knew better by now.

I trembled as I heard the door unlock, and the grumbling voice of our father echoes in the house.

"Filthy children messing up the shoes," Hayato muttered. "Shameful."

Osamu noticed the rigidness of my shoulders and offered me a smile. I tried to smile back, but my mouth refuses to move.

"What are you smiling about?" Minami growled. "Finding it funny to starve?"

"No, no," Osamu said. "It's nothing."

"I'm hungry!" Hayato called, his booming voice making me want to shrink away into nothing.

"I'm coming!" Minami shouted, and turned to us. "Back to your room. Scram."

I hurried to my room, waiting for Osamu to come in.

He doesn't. I felt the familiar tug in my lungs that seemed to come whenever I was nervous. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. The sensation eased until I can breathe again.

I jumped when I heard the door click shut. Had someone locked it? Was I finally going to die in this lonely room? My head feels light, like I might faint again.

"Relax, it's just me." I let out a small sigh of relief when I realized that it was Osamu.

Although he's just 10 years old, my brother was like my guardian. 

"I snuck in some food," Osamu whispered, grinning as he shut the door. He flashed out a box. I smiled.

"Magician." I tried out the new word he'd taught me.

"Haha, no." Osamu laughed quietly. "If I was a magician, we'd be out of here by now."

True, I thought as Osamu tossed me the box of precious food and flopped onto the floor. We don't have a bed, but Minami was human enough to give us a thin blanket to share.

He let out a sigh.

"One day, we'll get out of here."