Chapter 7

13 years old

"O...sa...mu?" I whispered. "Is that...you?"

"Of course it's me," The boy sitting next to me replied. "Who else would I be?"

My brother looks different. Instead of the thin white rags he wore when he was still living with us, he wore a black coat. Bandages covered his arms and neck and right eye.

His face was the same one I knew, except he looked a bit older and more tired.

"How are you?" Osamu asked. "I was really worried, you know. I ran all the way here from my work."

"Where's Minami?" I ignored his question. "Where's Hayato? Where am I?"

"You're in the Yokohama hospital. You know, where people go when they're hurt?"

"Where are our parents?" He still hasn't answered my question.

"...They're dead. They died in the car crash," Osamu reluctantly replied. "Honestly...I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad."

I didn't say anything. I was devastated about the deaths of the people who had took care of me. But at the same time...they had hurt me and taken away my childhood.

"But," Osamu brightened up. "You're alive! I missed you a lot."

"It's only been a year, Osamu," I winced at the pain in my ribs. But I knew that I missed him. One year seemed like one century.

"After you get better, we should have some brother-sister bonding time," He said excitedly. "Maybe you can work with me and commit double-suicide with me!"

"Double suicide?" I echoed. "The work, yes. The double suicide...I'll think about it."

Of course, my answer is no. But he seemed so happy when I said that.

"What do you do for a living?" I asked, suddenly curious. Osamu smirked.

"You'll never guess," He said. "Not my favorite...but I didn't have a lot of choices."

"I bet you got fired on all the other jobs," I guessed. "So? What do you do-"

I stopped as the door slid open and an unfamiliar man stepped in. He had shoulder-length black hair and cold, reddish eyes. A young girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes that looked around my age held his gloved hand.

"Boss." Osamu dipped his head respectfully. I looked at them, puzzled; who was this 'boss' person?

"Dazai-kun." The man flitted his piercing gaze to me. His smile made me shiver. "You must be Dazai-kun's little sister. How old are you?"

"T- thirteen?" I stammered. He made a disappointed tsk.

Osamu noticed. He frowned and opened his mouth to speak.

"Who are you?" I cut in boldly.

"I'm Mori Ougai," The man introduced. He pushed the young girl next to him forward. "This is Elise-chan."

"Hi~" Elise waved. "What's your name?"

"Dazai Tsuyuri," I said cautiously.

"We could be friends!" Elise beamed. "I like you."

"So, Tsuyuri-kun." I flinched as I looked up at Mori.

"Have you ever heard of abilities?"