Chapter 8

3 years old

"Have you ever heard of abilities?"

I froze at Mori's words. Osamu clenched my hand so hard I though my bones would break.

"A- abilities?" I asked.

"Yes, abilities." Mori smirked at my terrified expression. "Given your reaction, I'm sure you have one. Am I correct?"

Dazai Tsuyuri

10 years old

I watched, transfixed, at the weed that had grown through a crack in the floor of our room. Osamu crouched next to me, poking at the small plant.

"I wonder if it tastes good," He joked.

I didn't reply. My first time seeing a plant.

I didn't know why I did it, but I whispered, "Ability: Early Light."

Green light enveloped me, and in my mind, I heard the whisper of the small weed.

Grow, I urged it. Grow.

And slowly, it did. Osamu gaped at me, his eyes wide. He watched until the weed grew to the size of a crow, and grabbed my shoulder.

"Ability: No Longer Human."

The green light around me faded away, and the murmuring of the plant was whisked away as well.

Dazai Osamu

16 years old

Tsuyuri did have an ability. A powerful one. I knew that if she revealed it, she would instantly start training in the Port Mafia as soon as she got better.

It would be good...we would be able to work together.

But at the same time, I wasn't sure that it was the best plan. What if Boss used her and destroyed that spark of flame inside of her?

Tsuyuri...this is your choice, I guess.

I pressed the button that called over a doctor without anyone noticing.

"I..." My sister trailed away, glancing at me. I kept my face blank.

"Show me what you can do," Mori suggested. "I'm curious." Elise glared at him, but he ignored her.

Tsuyuri hesitated. She looked up at me again, and this time I handed her the vase of flowers a kind nurse had placed at the table next to her bed.

"It...it only works on living plants," She whispered. "In the ground."

I blinked, then placed the vase back down.

"Plants are outside," Boss said. "Perhaps we should take a nice walk in the park."

"But- the doctor-" Tsuyuri started to protest. At that moment, a man wearing a white coat and glasses entered the room. He looked surprised to see us there.

The doctor cleared his throat.

"Who here is Dazai Tsuyuri's guardian?" He asked.

"Me," I said immediately.

"You two should leave. This is a private discussion," The doctor told Boss and Elise. Boss looked reluctant to leave, but Elise dragged him out of the room, closing the door after her.

"So, we have our report here, Tsuyuri-san. You'll live, and your wounds were thankfully shallower than we expected."

"However," He said as I let out a sigh of relief. "There's some unfortunate news. When the car crashed, your legs were crushed and will be paralyzed forever."

Tsuyuri and I both froze.

What.

"It can be fixed, right?" I asked. The doctor shook his head.

"I'm afraid that her legs have taken too much damage. She won't ever walk or feel anything."

Tsuyuri's lips trembled. "But...but I thought hospitals could cure everyone?"

"Sometimes," The doctor started gently, "some things can't be saved."

I clenched Tsuyuri's hand as she shook.