Chapter 3

11 years old

Four years ago, that day I had called Osamu a magician, I was right.

He was leaving the house at last.

But without me.

"Are you sure about this?" Osamu asked me. "I can wait until we can go together."

"It's okay." I gave him a smile, but I can't hide that sadness in my voice. "I want you to go."

"I don't want to go," Osamu whispered. "I shouldn't leave."

"It's okay," I repeated. "Go. Maybe you can come back for me one day."

"Of course I will," He said. "I'll come the moment you turn fourteen."

"CHILD!" Hayato boomed. "IF YOU'RE LEAVING, THEN GET OUT QUICKLY!"

"I have to go." Osamu hugged me tightly. I can feel him trembling. "I'll see you someday. Hopefully."

"Hopefully," I repeated. "Go and be free."

I watched as Osamu took a deep breath. He didn't have any luggage. Only the clothes he wore and the charm I had given him.

"For good luck," I'd told him a day ago. I'd carved a small bird for him. A sparrow.

Sparrows had always been his favorite.

"I want to give you something," Osamu suddenly said, reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a small, dark wooden cat. It was the size of my fingernail, and it was crudely carved. "I made it for you."

I accepted his gift gratefully.

"I'll never forget you," I whispered. "Goodbye."

Osamu stepped out the door. I felt cold wind brush my face, flinging my hair back. I can see colorful green and blue skies and all the things I've never gotten to experience.

They were so vivid.

Osamu suddenly looked very small, very uncertain.

"Wait," He said, turning back. "Maybe I'll leave another day. I don't want to-"

I shut the door in front of his pleading face. After a moment of silence, I hear his footsteps fade away. The cat in my hand suddenly feels heavy.

I ran to the room I now used alone and slipped into the thin blanket I now used alone.