Chapter 5

Dazai Osamu

16 years old

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU FOR THIS!" Chuuya shouted. He made a wild grab at the hat in my hands, but alas, he's too short for that.

"If you can," I laughed, stretching my arm above my head so that he couldn't reach his hat. "It would be funny to see you try."

"I HATE YOU DAZAI!" Chuuya growled. "ONE DAY I'LL STAB YOUR STUPID FACE WHILE YOU SLEEP!"

"Oh, I'm so scared~" I sang, moving out of the way as my fellow executive punched my arm.

I stopped when I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. When I pulled it out, I realized that I had an incoming call from Boss.

I pressed the accept button.

"Hello?" I asked. Chuuya is still seething from besides me, and I raise the hat higher when he grabs at it.

"Dazai-kun." He froze when he heard the familiar, cold voice of the Port Mafia boss. I noticed and switched the speaker off. "I have some unfortunate news for you."

"Unfortunate?" I echoed.

"There was a car crash between one of our cars and a citizen's," Boss explained. "Both sides have suffered fatal injuries. Two people died in the citizen car."

"That's not a big deal," I said dismissively. "We can cover it up easily enou-"

"Dazai-kun." Mori cut me off. "The two dead citizen's names were Hayato and Minami."

I froze.

They couldn't be the same people I knew, right?

"What's their family name?" I asked.

"Dazai." My eyes widened at the name.

So...the people who have died are my parents.

But did I really care?

I did...but not because of them.

"Was there anyone else in the car?" I questioned.

"Yes." My heart sunk at that single word. "She's currently in the Yokohama hospital right now. She was severely injured in the crash."

"She..." I tried to calm my breathing, but it wasn't working. "What's her name?"

"Dazai Tsuyuri."

I felt Chuuya's hat slip out of my hand.

"OI!" He roared, preparing to kick me. My legs buckled as his foot made contact with my stomach. Normally, I would dodge with ease, but the shock had me frozen in position. I crouched there, overcome with pain and surprise.

"That was all. I'll see you later, Dazai-kun." Mori ended the call. I stayed like that for a moment, my mind unable to process the information he had just given me.

"Dazai? What the hell is wrong with you?" Chuuya snarled, snapping me out of my daze. I pocketed my phone and stood up, walking briskly out of the building. My hand clenched the wooden sparrow that rested in my other pocket. I could feel its beak cut my palm.

"H- hey!" Chuuya shouted. "Where are you going?"

"To the Yokohama hospital," I replied, not looking back. "I have to go see someone there."