Chapter 4

13 years old

I blink at the sudden rush in our home. Cardboard boxes are stacked everywhere, and there are multiple large bags filled with clothes and books.

I know not to ask questions, though.

"Hurry up!" Hayato barked at me. "Pack your stuff."

I stumbled as he threw a small bag at me. I nodded and entered my lonely room.

I wish Osamu was still here.

No, I didn't. Or he'd be suffering, too. He deserved freedom.

One more year, I thought. One more year until Osamu comes to rescue me.

My hands find the wooden cat charm that hung on a piece of string on my neck. The only thing I needed, really, but I pack the thin, ragged blanket and a few pieces of food I stole from the kitchen when everyone was asleep.

"Hurry up!" Minami snapped from the living room. "Quit wasting time!"

I quickly left the room and blinked when I saw that both my parents were at the doorway.

"Come on!" Hayato barked. "Everything's in the car except you."

Car? I felt confused but didn't hesitate to walk out of the door for the first time in 13 years.

Cold wind. The feeling of dewy grass on my bare feet.

It was like I was living a second life.

"Stop dawdling!" I stumble when Hayato shoved me towards the direction of their black car. The trunk is jammed with cardboard boxes. "Into the back!"

I opened the back door of the car with great difficulty, only to find that it was crammed with more stuff. I squished in and managed to sit in the middle.

Seatbelt, I thought as I looked around. Osamu taught me about cars before.

I buckled my seatbelt and waited for Minami and Hayato to get in. I jumped at the loud vroom of the engine starting.

"Where are we going?" I couldn't stop myself from talking.

"We're moving," Minami replied impatiently. "Far away from here."

"What?!"

I wanted to cry. How was Osamu going to find me now? I was going to be stuck in who-knows-where until my 14th birthday, and then I'd have to roam around with no idea where to go.

All my dreams of Osamu and I enjoying life faded away.

The ride was silent after my outburst.

Until Minami suddenly screamed.

"THERE'S A CAR COMING AT US!" She shrieked. "IT'S GOING TO HI-"

There's a huge crash, and cardboard boxes fly into my body.

A second later, glass rains down on me and I let out a cry as something crushed my legs. I was having trouble breathing and blood flowed out of me fast. Pain took over my body as I screamed my lungs hoarse.

I stopped when something hit my head and everything went black.