[Chapter Twenty-Eight]: The Ones We Love

"What in the world happened to them?" asked Wyatt, gazing at the two unconscious people, sleeping in their own beds that were right next to each other. It was clear from a mile away just how much the two were injured. 

"Beats me," Zion said quietly, approaching Y/N with a frown. "Wake up soon, buddy." 

Ghost was sitting on Wyatt's head, looking sadly at his owner. Wyatt raised his arms and took the cat in his grasp so that they were face to face. "He'll be fine. I know it." 

"Meow."

"How long have they been here?" Zion questioned Wyatt, who shrugged. Wyatt had been too preoccupied with training and just now found out about the two; Zion had just gotten back from a mission and was fortunately given a break due to Lady Shinobu being too busy with helping them recover.

"I think a day or two? They still haven't woken up yet," Wyatt sighed. 

Zion placed a hand on his face and stood like that for a few seconds. Then he removed the hand, and said, "No point sulking about it. I'm going to train."

"But— But you just got the break you were wishing for!" Wyatt replied in shock. "Why are you training straight away?"

Zion pointed at Y/N, "I want to become strong enough so that I can stand on an equal footing with that guy."

"So you're just competitive?" Wyatt gave him a disappointed look. 

"No, if Y/N acknowledges that I can rival him, then he'll definitely allow me to tag along next time he goes out... At least I hope," he muttered, as he moved towards the door.

"Wait up, I'm gonna train with you!" Wyatt said hurriedly as he dashed to the door as well.

Zion chuckled and smiled at Wyatt, turning his head towards him, as he placed a handle on the door. "Your company will be ni—"

The moment the door opened, Zion felt a terrifying aura. He turned, and found himself looking into the eyes of Obanai Iguro. "Move," the Hashira said forcefully, and Zion slowly stepped to the side. Iguro shoved past Wyatt as he approached the bed where Kanroji was, and started to mutter words that they couldn't pick up on. 

"That's..." thought Wyatt.

"Obanai Iguro," Zion finished, staring at the person Y/N had sworn to kill. 

"What do you want?" Iguro said coldly, turning to Zion. He had noticed the staring, it seemed, and wasn't taking it very well. 

"...You're the guy that killed Y/N's brother," Zion said slowly. 

Iguro stared at him blankly. "...Who are you again?" 

"The son of the Sound Hashira," he stated. "Did you even apologise to Y/N?" 

"You look nothing like him," Iguro responded. "And of course not. I was doing my job; he should've thanked me for saving him." 

"Thanked you?!" Wyatt suddenly spoke up. "You killed his brother and were completely rude about it all, and you expected him to thank you?"

"A Demon is a Demon. That wasn't his brother anymore. You have to be delusional to think that I was in the wrong," Iguro replied. 

"Hey, snake-bastard, maybe you should've been less harsh about it," Zion said instantly, moving over to Iguro and towering over him with his superior height. The Hashira was admittedly short. 

"...I'm the Hashira, and you're the disappointment," he said after a pause. "He would still have wanted to kill me, even if I was nice about it, like you wanted me to be."