Chapter 59

The very day Ela had felt the first wave of her transition she had blocked it.

The problem is Ela, the more you keep resisting, the more painful it becomes and slowly you will no longer be able to block the transition.

Aditya had reminded her several times in the last few days. He also advised her to try and understand the core of her energy and stop resisting. It was best if she let the transition happen to her in the natural process.

Very carefully he had explained that the bond she had built with Mini and Oishi would also help her go through the transition but if she kept blocking the results would be severe.

Ela feared exactly those consequences, the result of the transition, although she couldn't bring herself up to tell Aditya why she was frightened and also about that awful thing preying on her.

What if Aditya didn't believe? Of course, Aditya knew about such things that were beyond common knowledge more than anybody else, still, Ela was not confident enough to confide in him. A huge possibility was that he might not see that thing which only Ela and Shomak saw. And now after Mini's transition, she had started to see it too.

The closer they moved towards the next amāvásyā, Ela's fear banged on her chest rapidly. At least Shomak was there to help her otherwise it was hard to explain what she actually suffered.

"Ja-yu..."

A hushed sound came floating from behind her. It was like a whisper, faint and delicate that brushed over her skin leaving behind a touch of cold, uncomfortable and lingering sensation.

She stopped chopping the onions and turned around.

The others were all upstairs helping Oishi to crack a telepathic challenge that would get her control back, which left Ela alone on the ground floor yet she was very sure she had heard someone calling. 

She could hear the whispering voice. 

Very low, almost inaudible but she could still follow the trail. It came from the main hall. 

Ela gulped.

Holding her breath she tiptoed out of the kitchen walking slowly towards the main hall. 

With a loud thud, a glass fell from the kitchen shelf. Ela gasped and rushed back to the kitchen but she had put one step on the threshold when the lights went off and she could swear she had heard a loud clap.

Ela panted, trying to hit hard on her memory to recall and be sure she was hearing it right. 

And another clap from her left.

"Ah!" She turned.

Another from her right.

She again turned, panicked, as her breathing increased.

And another from behind. She spun and jumped back with a suppressed shriek.

"Jayuuuu!!" 

Half broken blackened teeth flashed at her. Bhadran was grinning flipping his head from one side to another.

"Ah!" scared, shocked and startled Ela took hurried steps back. She kept walking into the kitchen and whimpered. "Sho-shomak," she stuttered unable to call out loudly. Her vision started to blur with hot tears rolling down her eyes.

It had taken her six bloody years to forget her first encounter with Bhadran. The dreadful night had instilled a permanent terror in her. The more Bradran grinned producing a screeching sound, the more Ela choked.

She couldn't even think of one movement to attack.

Thunder rumbled with a deep line of lightning momentarily flashing over Bhadran's grinning face with his bloodshot eyes boring into Ela.