Chapter 73

Prani and Mahamaya had left to finish their daily ritual at the Onkhquerik, leaving a strict instruction that Shomak and Ragnik couldn't stay long. 

"Ela, we will have to leave now. And I beg you, please don't keep thinking about the outcome," Aditya tried to reason out. Ela had been silent since Ardha told about Prajvedh and Chaarvi. Although Aditya provided several explanations, he was afraid that nothing really worked.

"Jayu's have dual nature, and Chaarvi was an extremist," Aditya tried again. "It is not mandatory that just because you are of her bloodline, you will turn into her. Look at your mother, and the Jayus before her, there has been no record of a white Jayu in your family since Chaarvi. She was the first and possibly the last..."

"What if she was not the last one?" Ela looked up. A single tear ran down from her left eye. "What if I turn into her?"

"You won't!" Shomak shouted.

His sudden outburst startled her. She was completely shaken. Shomak had never shouted at her like that. Even he, himself looked a bit shocked.

"I think I am hungry, when do they even serve the breakfast?" Oishi broke the silence running thick inside the temple and tried to distract the others as she could clearly see the streak of disagreement between Ela and Shomak.

Shomak sighed and walked out through the small arched door on the right side of the prayer hall.

"Where did he go?" Ela asked in a hoarse voice.

Ragnik and Aditya went after Shomak trying to stop him and Ela rushed after them followed by Oishi and Mini.

The three sisters looked down and saw a long fleet of spiral stairs leading to the exit bridge.

"We are not allowed to step inside the Jayu's tower, hence these outer stairs for us," Aditya informed sensing their curiosity.

"This is a pure torture!" Oishi exclaimed gritting her teeth. "How many are they?" she asked her brother.

"Four hundred andeighty-five steps."

"The fu –"

"Oishi!" Mini warned.

"Shomak wait!" Ela ran past Aditya and Ragnik, almost throwing the latter off balance and stood blocking Shomak's way. "You wait right there." She gasped for breath. "Is this some kind of a payback because I shut you off after I saw Chandra - " she trailed off.

"See where you are wrong! Always making assumptions and - " 

Shomak and Ela's argument suddenly picked up without even considering that they debated on random topics. 

"Here I was still trying to grasp the idea that my friend was fucking a vishkanya! But all he does is argue without a valid point!" Ragnik commented from the back.

"Ragnik, please keep quiet," Mini requested on a serious note.

" - And then what Ela? Then what?" Shomak shouted again, "you do this every time. You keep pondering on a certain idea you imagine in your head which might not even be a real thing!" He inhaled sharply before adding, "You are still punishing me for staying away. You keep asking for validation even after what we shared last night – "

"Hoy! You have an audience here!" Ragnik whistled which earned him another glare from Mini.

" – Why is it so difficult to accept that Chandra and I are over? Why is it so difficult to stop assuming about the outcome of your transition? Why are you so scared?"

"Because I am tired of being brave!" Ela shouted back. "Why can't you see it Shomak?"

"What do you want me to see?" He irritatingly asked.