Chapter 71

Fireflies. Sparkling, and beautiful; the dewy little insects floated around undisturbed. Their glowing yellow light illuminated the small pond below a huge waterfall. The water flowing from high up the mountains glowed a mixed shade of bright green, purple, and pink. 

Ela stood silently beneath the water; soaking in the peace surrounding the forest. The gentle sound of the water, and the ripples on her skin, soothed her nerves and calmed her senses. 

She found a harmony that perhaps she had been searching for long in there, almost working together in sync with her heartbeat. She had somehow found solace away from the worries that thickened her mind. 

Shutting her eyes, she took deep breaths and exhaled in intervals. 

The simple pale blue fabric she had draped around her torso remained pasted over her, prominently flashing the curves she had kept hidden under heavy shawls. 

She had forgotten how long she had been standing under the waterfall. She felt cold, her fingers turning numb, but she enjoyed how deeply and perhaps after decades she took a bath without being worried.

Though in Teesta she had never felt the itch of being watched, she had never really managed to enjoy a shower. Here, things were different. She bathed as much as she wanted without any care of who might catch her in that state. It didn't matter anymore. 

Once she was satisfied, with a promise to come back often, she tiptoed on the large pebbles, then crossing the lotuses reached under a tall mahogany tree.

Resting her back against the dry trunk, that felt warm,  she closed her eyes and gently breathed, concentrating deeply on the sound of nature. She felt her body slowly settle allowing her to slip into a peaceful slumber. 

It was so silent, so good, so peaceful. 

"Found you!"

"Uhhh!" 

Startled by the intrusion, Ela gasped loudly. An arm suddenly wrapped around her waist trapping her against the tree. She panicked, her heart pounding in her chest, her senses on alert feeling the whisper over her neck.  

But the fear that had gripped her quickly faded. 

"Shiva! Shiva! Shiva!" She chanted composing herself. "Who is giving you these creepy ideas!" Ela pinched Shomak's arm pulling away from him. It did take an hour of long intervention by Ragnik and Nishi to help both Shomak and Ela come to terms with their recent past. 

Shomak chuckled drawing her closer again and rubbed his lips over the wet skin of her neck. "Why are you roaming around alone? I thought the angry high priestess had sent guards to look after you."

"I was bathing," she pouted moving closer into his embrace.

"With your clothes on?" Shomak teased.

"Shut up! I haven't bathed in a waterfall ever!" the cheerful note in Ela's voice surprised Shomak. He had never seen her so relaxed before. He raised his eyebrows in wonder and asked, "You sound excited! What is this place anyway?" Shomak looked around although couldn't exactly understand.

"Urtha Shamanam. You can say it is a holy bathing place for the Jayu's who become animal healers."

"You mean vet?"

Ela giggled. "Kind of but they are called Urthas. They can speak the language of several animals and have special powers to heal them. They are specially trained to understand mythical creatures and tend to them. More than doctors, they are also caregivers."

"Understood. But why do they have a separate holy bathing waterfall?"

"Not exactly separate," Ela pointed at the uphill from where the water was falling to the pond. "This water body is an extension of the Shamaniri lake above which the Tritwa Shikhar is. Before they began their training they bathe in this waterfall to empty their heads and find inner peace and deep dedication."