Chapter 1

Sitting In my drivers room in anticipation of today's race I hear my phone quietly vibrating on my desk and see it's my manager as I answer to phone and put it to my ear I'm expecting it to be one of his pep talks or him informing me about some conference, but instead he tells me to come to his office for an ‘emergency meeting’.

As I approach the door of my manager who had spontaneously called me to have an ‘emergency meeting’ the nerves begin setting in. It was quite unusual for him to arrange meetings especially at the end of the season. And as I am one race away from being the Formula 2 world Champion I'm confused as to what the emergency could be.

Knocking firmly on the door and waiting a few seconds, I am greeted by Michael, my manager who opens the door and motions for me to enter. I see a man sitting at the table. His face is quite distinguishable and one I recognise vaguely. I take a seat as my manager tells me to and I can feel my facial expressions changing as every second goes by.

“Sorry to call you out of the blue”, Michael says. “It's all good, what's going on?” I inquire. There is a period of brief silence whilst Michael and this mysterious man just stare at each other as if they are trying to get each other to start the conversation. After a few seconds Micahel begins to speak.

“Y/N this is Alessandro Alunni Bravi he is the Team Principal for Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber and he wants to chat with you”

There is an uncomfortable stifling atmosphere in the small room, so I turn my head to Alessandro to indicate to him to start talking.

“Good Morning Y/N, obviously you know who I am now so I will get straight to the point, next season Valtteri is not going to be with us anymore as he is moving over to Haas to replace Magnussen and help them, and that leaves us without a driver and we have been amazed at your performance in F2 and your stint as a performance test driver for Williams was amazing so I'm here to propose you join the Suaber family next year”

I'm totally perplexed by this overwhelming revelation that is unfolding right in front of my very eyes. I have heard things about Stake, Sauber, Alfa Romeo whatever you want to call it and not much of it has been very positive.

“Not to sound ungrateful aren't you guys P9 in the constructors Championship?” I ask.

Alessandro sighs. I can tell he's under a plethora of stress and an overwhelming amount of pressure to find a new driver.

“Yes this season we will finish P9 but I believe if any driver can help us it's you, we will invest in your career and do everything to meet your expectations and if we don't you will have my word that I will resign”.

I look into his eyes, they tell me everything, they tell me he's at his breaking point.

I lean back and ponder momentarily, and think of some questions to ask.

“How long will my contract be and how much do I get per point?” I ask, this being my most major question.

He leans forwards flipping through his notebook that is evidently old but more than likely contains some of the most salient information for the team.

“Initial contract is 2 years and you will get 500k per point scored”.

Hearing him finish that sentence automatically sends my adolescent brain going “yes, yes” the thought of all that money is one hell of an incentive.

“Who will my teammate be?” This is my last question as the last answer threw me off completely.

“Zhou Guyanu, he's quite experienced and he is performing better each season”

I look between Alessandro and Michael, knowing that after I win the F2 Championship I have no place here and I know there are no other seats opening up so I have no choice but at the same time I do. I was on the Williams Racing driver development program. I could still have a chance at getting a seat there, but it's not a definitive answer.