Chapter 5

“Y/N, Y/N”, I open my eyes and whine with displeasure at being woken up by someone pounding on my door shouting my name. I manage to accumulate enough energy to get out of the bed and take a quick look in the mirror, my eyes still slightly red and puffy from spending half of the night crying into my pillow. I place my hand on the cold metal handle and pull the door open to reveal Zhou and Yuki standing at my door.

“You look rough” Zhou comment's, clearly displaying he hasn't had lessons In what to say when someone doesn't look well or happy.

I simply mutter my response “thanks I feel rough”.

After a brief moment of chatter they eventually tell me that they are here to drag me to the airport. We have 2 weeks until Baku and I agreed to go on a trip with them to China. And standing here looking at them with a pounding headache and chronic fatigue setting in I feel an impending sense of regret casting itself over me.

Reluctantly I pack my suitcase with their eager eyes fixated on my every move as they continue to ask me questions about what happened after I prematurely left the beach, but they know how stubborn I am and don't push on too much. Eventually I manage to finish packing my bag and walk out of the room and wait for Zhou and Yuki to follow behind me, closing the door behind them.

As we walk down the corridor and edge towards the stairs the voices from downstairs travel up and I can faintly hear the thick Monegasque accent of Charles and the indistinguishable Dutch accent of Max.

I lug my suitcase down the stairs with the help of Yuki who eventually sees that I am struggling and helps me carry it down the stairs where I see Charles and Max engrossed into a deep conversation in one of the corners of the reception area. I quickly return my key and then head outside to put my bag in the taxi and before I get into the taxi I hear someone saying my name behind me.

I turn to see Max walking down the marble steps.

“Can I talk to you quickly?” he asks.

I sigh and look into the car where Yuki and Zhou have fixated their gaze on me and Max, so I shut the door and walk over to a pillar and ask him what he wants.

“I just wanted to know where we are at?”

“I don't know Max, but I need break to clear my mind and forget about all of this for just a moment so I will see you Baku” as I finish my sentence I walk back over to the taxi and pull the handle to open the door and reveal Yuki and Zhou who have an inquisitive look etched on to their faces and immediately ask me what happened, I quite abrasively shrug off their comments and put my headphones in to avoid further interrogation.

The miles seem to fly by and we quickly arrive at the airport and because I got up late we have to frantically run through the terminal to the gate where our flight is already boarding, and we make it just in time, out of breath and sweating. We walk down the cabin aisle, people's eyes averting towards us making me feel self conscious but they are probably looking at us because we are the reason the plane has been held back, eventually I reach my seat and fasten my seat belt.

The best thing about sitting in first class is you get a little section to yourself but that still doesn't seem to stop Zhou coming and sitting next to me mid flight. By now Yuki has fallen asleep so Zhou decides to come and talk to me.

There is a spare seat next to me across the aisle so he preoccupies it whilst he's talking to me. Initially the conversation is light and jovial and then he brings up the topic everyone seems to cycle back to when talking to me, Max. But as he already knows the premise of mine and Max’s not so platonic relationship I suppose it's only fair he questions me.

“So why are you giving Max the cold shoulder?” he asks.

“Alessandro worked it out and I don't want to jeopardise mine or his career so I thinks it's best if we distance ourselves and let things settle before we go any further”