Chapter 4

I make my way down from the podium still on an immense high from the post race win, and my first ever win in F1. I never expected to achieve my dream that quickly, but it wasn't easy, my arms and legs ache like they never have before.

It wasn't an easy race. I had to push the car to it's limits which meant pushing my body to it's limit. I notice Ollie in my peripheral vision and immediately alter my course of direction and approach him. He doesn't notice me as I come along his left hand side and tap his shoulder making him jump lightly. When he turns around and realises it's me he automatically hugs me as if it is his default setting.

“You did amazing out there” he states enthusiastically whilst still being latched onto me like a koala to a tree. I invite him to walk with me to my driver's room and we make light conversation as we push past people in the paddock. Champagne is still dripping down my face, but it could be sweat so I'm not totally sure.

We eventually make it to my room where I quickly get change out of my champagne soaked luminous green race suit into more casual clothes and he sits on my desk whilst I'm tying my shoelaces and begins to ask me question after question seeing as we haven't seen each other for about 3 weeks which is the longest period of time we have gone without seeing each other in about 2 years.

“So how are things going with Max?” Is his first question but I preempted that his first question would have something to do with Max. I don't say anything. Instead I hand him the note he had written for me, he takes a moment to read it and I realise I haven't given him the backstory as to why I am or was mad at Max. “I was mad at him because he threw me off a boat into the sea with my book and refused to apologise.”

“My god Y/N you are so stubborn and righteous it's painful sometimes” he says whilst folding the note back up and handing it back to me, “what do you mean?” I ask.

“You were mad at the poor man for pulling a prank. You need to lighten up and give him a chance if you are ever going to get together, have you seen him since?”.

“I saw him when I was on the podium in the crowd, what should I do?”

“Well I say go and find your man and make up with him, but don't confuse make up with make out because we are going for dinner and I'm not waiting around just because you two are too into your kissing or whatever you do behind closed doors”

I laugh lightly at his statement and leave him in the comfort of my driver's room, I quickly inform Alessandro that I have left Ollie in my room and that I will be back soon.I try to walk down the pit lane to the Red Bull garage without being seen by the media or fans but luckily most of the lights have been dimmed now and most of the fans are flooding towards the exit. I see the odd media camera interviewing certain team principals such as James, Andrea and Frédéric so I try to be as inconspicuous and undercover as possible and by some miracle I manage to get to the Red Bull garage.

My next issue is getting past the engineers and Christian who are all standing by the door that leads to the drivers rooms. I know I can't get past them so I have to come up with some elaborate excuse for them to allow me to pass.

I know Christian isn't in a good mood after a DNF and P6 so I have to try and not piss him off anymore, I approach them all and my heart pounds faster and faster and then they notice me and Christian initiates the interrogation. “What are you doing here?” he asks, his tone isn't spiteful or perpetuated by annoyance rather genuine inquisitiveness.

My hair is still wet from the shower I had back in my garage but I lie and say it's champagne.

“Can I use one of your showers, mine is broken and Zhou is answering his door” I say he's just about to let me pass when he says “Why didn't you just go to Mercedes or Williams they are next door to you?”. I panic trying to think of some plausible excuse, “Well given I essentially betrayed them for Sauber I don't think I'm most welcomed there plus you guys have the biggest budget so you must have nicer showers” he smiles and let's me pass and I'm genuinely elated and shocked at how easy that was.