Chapter 20

Emerald looks at Hunter with tears in her eyes replying, "you are right, Hunter, this place is a prison". She gently takes Hunter's arm into her hand cradling his would softly saying, "but you are not alone in here". Emerald presses the fabric to his wound as he hisses but does not move. Emerald says, "I am here with you". Hunter stares at Emerald with a thoughtful expression asking, "you would say that? to your kidnapper?". Emerald replies, "you are not just my kidnapper, Hunter, a kidnapper would not have burned themselves for me". Hunter's keen eyes meet hers as Emerald stops the bleeding, something stirs beneath his sharp gaze. However, the moment is broken by footsteps as Hunter growls as they near the door. Damien yells, "WHERE IS HE?!! WITH THAT GIRL?!". Emerald and Hunter both get up as Hunter angrily says, "Damien, again, damn it!". He growls and grabs Emerald's arm pulling her to his large cabinet and throws open the doors. Emerald asks, "do you want... to hide me in there?!". Hunter answers, "in a sense". Hunter laces his fingers with hers as before Emerald can react he pulls her into the cabinet with him. Emerald tumbles down the pitch black inside wondering, 'what is happening?'. She feels a secret passageway as Hunter tumbles down beside her as they get out Emerald says, "what the-". He takes her hand saying, "follow me". They walk down the dark path to a door and head upstairs as Emerald soon finds herself on the roof of the castle overlooking the breathtaking snowcapped mountains beyond. Emerald turns to Hunter saying, "whoa, this is... unexpected but stunning. I was thinking we would end up in a cockroach-infested dungeon". Hunter says, "I like to come here sometimes to think, look Emerald... I need to apologise to you". Emerald turns to him saying, "you want to apologise to me? for what? I do not blame you for Damien's action he's-." Hunter stops her saying, "do you remember what I said earlier about my curse?." Emerald felt uneasy saying, "yes in exchange for your power, you...." 

Hunter says, "I will die in a month, on my thirty birthday, it is the fate of every firstborn male in my bloodline, the fate of every King." Emerald says, "but that's not fair, no power is worth the price of a life." Hunter says, "the price is paid nonetheless but it is not me I am concerned for, it's you." Emerald says, "me?." Hunter turns back to face the night sky as he says, "I marked you and this bond between us is... different, you are different Emerald." Emerald notices Hunter's hand shaking as he turns to face her once more saying, "you can feel my pain, my emotions and that is not normal, I have no idea what will happen to you once I die." Emerald thinks, 'Hunter's right this bond between us could mean....' As her mind filled with the worst possibilities of the situation; Hunter continued to apologise to Emerald saying, "it's my fault, bringing you to this deadly place, taken away your freedom and now... I have marked you for death, even worse than what Damien is planning to give you, I don't expect you to forgive me, Emerald." Emerald senses Hunter's inner vulnerability and the words he is saying to her as she thinks, 'he feels so guilty, but he is not to blame!.' Emerald comes over and closes the distance between her and Hunter by wrapping her arms around his broad back. Hunter was surprised as he still stared at the night sky thinking, 'she's embracing me now... this feels so warm.' Emerald says, "you've said a lot, Hunter but you have nothing to apologise for, none of this is your fault." Emerald buries her head deeper as she hears Hunter's heartbeat loudly against her ears. 

Emerald says, "you said it yourself, you never intended to mark me, it just happened... I don't blame you and if it means I will die in thirty days... then so be it." Hunter turns to her and holds her gently saying, "Emerald. I...." Emerald looks Hunter deeply in his eyes as she caresses his cheek softly saying, "I do not care, I will accept my fate happily and as it comes just as you are accepting yours, Hunter... you are strong and brave, and I will be this too!." Slowly Hunter's large arms folds over Emerald's body pulling her closer as she feels the Dragon's mark flare on her arm however she does not feel pain instead a calm and loving feeling. Hunter places his forehead against hers saying, "you are the stronger one, Emerald." Emerald giggles softly saying, "always the tone of surprise with you, Hunter." He tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear as his brow furrows when he touches her cheek saying, "you are shivering, let's get back inside." Emerald says, "you are right, but Damien is likely waiting for us in your room." Hunter says, "we are not going back to my room."