Chapter Seven

"So...do you want to go to dinner with me tomorrow tonight?" Cole asked.

    I stopped washing the dishes and turned my head over my shoulder to look at him. He was wiping the counter.

    "We...we do that all the time. What'll be different?" I mumbled.

    Acting clueless is the best way to figure out what a boy really wants and thinks.

"Well, I don't know, maybe we could call this one something special."

"Like what?"

He stopped wiping the counter and walked over to me, wrapping his arms around me. His chin rested on the top of my head, I continued to clean the dishes trying not to smile. "Maybe...our first date?"

I sucked in a breath.

"I know you don't like this topic," he whispered into my ear. "I just really want to start something with you."

"I do too...I just–"

"What? Tell me Daisy, you know you can tell me anything."

I finally stopped washing the dishes and turned to face him. I looked up into his eyes and felt my eyes begin to fill with tears.

"Daisy," he whispered sweetly. "What's wrong Love?"

I began sniffling. "I'm scared you'll leave." He pulled me into his chest, letting me cry.

He wiped a tear away. "What makes you think I'll ever leave you?"

"Not like that. I'm scared...I'm scared you'll leave to go fight and not come back," I sobbed. "I'm too scared."

He went quiet for a second, I slid down the cabinet and sat on the ground. Cole sat down with me and held me in his arms.

"I promise I'll never leave you."

"Pinky promise?"

He held my hands in his and looked me in the eyes. "Pinky promise."

    We sat there together for a good while, it started to pour rain as it always did here. I closed my eyes and let him hold me. Sometimes I felt so vulnerable but I trusted him with my everything.

    "How much do you trust me?" he whispered.

    I swear he could read my mind. "A lot."

    "Good."

    He stood up, picking me up off the ground. Slowly he took me to my room and sat me down on my bed.

    "You should get some rest, we don't have to go out to dinner tomorrow if you don't want to. Whatever you want, I want."

    "Cole."

    "Yes?"

    "Please don't leave," I whispered. He sat down on my bed and layed next to me, pulling a blanket around me. I turned to face him and moved closer to him. He turned the lamp off and wrapped his arms around me.

    "Goodnight My Love."

    "Goodnight," I murmured. I quickly fell asleep, I'd worry about this in the morning. Right now I had to be like Cole and just live in the moment with my best friend.

    "Sweetheart," Cole whispered into my ear. My eyes fluttered open and shut again, it was bright. I pulled the covers up and snuggled back in. "It's almost lunch time."

    I slowly opened my eyes to find Cole looking back at me, a smile on his face. He swiped a piece of hair out of my eyes and just looked at me. "You're so beautiful," he murmured.