Chapter Twelve

Cole led me into the train car, we had gotten a private Pullman car. It was a sort of small apartment at the end of the train. It was dark out, simple noises of grasshoppers and bustling people filled the silence. 

Soon the train was on its way. I went to the bedroom and lay down on the bed, closing my eyes for a couple of seconds. 

Rough fingers smoothly swept against my arm. I shivered at his touch as a blanket draped over me. “Sleep well.”

I woke up to the sound of soft music in the distance. Slowly I dragged myself out of bed and threw a light delicate shawl over my shoulders. I walked out of the room to see candles filling the train car. A very handsome man stood in the center, lighting the last five candles. He turned at the sound of my steps and blew out the match. 

“I guess I’m not that good at being quiet,” he whispered.

I smiled and walked into his arms. “You are.” 

He took my hands in his and began to guide me around in a slow dance. Soon we were barely moving, standing, rocking back and forth. I closed my eyes and leaned against him. 

He left out a small chuckle. “Tired?”

“Mhm.” 

“Let’s get you to bed.” 

I felt as he swept his arms under me and proceeded to carry me to the bedroom and set me down on the bed. He swiftly slipped my shoes off and set them down. 

“I’m not a child,” I murmured. 

“I beg to differ,” he laughs. 

- - -

I woke up with him in my arms. I pulled myself closer to him and kissed his forehead. “Good morning.”

His eyes fluttered open. “Good morning Sweetheart.” He began to wrap his arms around me, my face pressed against his neck. He stayed there for a while, holding me. 

“Cole. I can’t breathe,” I laughed. He loosened his grip a little so I could pull my head back. 

He smiled. “Sorry.”

An announcement broke over the intercom. “Arrival in twelve hours.” We would arrive around nine o'clock tonight. 

I sucked in a breath and rolled over, my face smushed into the pillow. He laughed once again and slowly rubbed my back. “You’ll be okay, they’ll love you.” 

“Sure,” I murmured. 

“Hungry?”

“No.”

“I’m still making you eat.”

I groaned and turned back over to face him, our faces met, inches away from each other. He smiled and cupped my face in his hands. I closed my eyes as his velvet soft lips touched mine softly. Slowly pulling away. I opened my eyes to find him gazing into them. 

There was a knock on the train door. I quickly got up and went to open the door, a man strolled in with a tray. 

“Your breakfast Madame,” he whispered. His eyes glanced over my body and stopped at my eyes. 

“T-Thank you.”

I won’t lie, he looked very charming and all but he was giving me the creeps. “All alone?” He slowly stepped towards me, I began to step back when my back hit the wall behind me. 

Cole cleared his throat. The man and I both turned to look at him. The man took a step back and looked down at the ground. Cole walked over and swiftly took a punch at the guy's side. I gasped and took a step toward Cole when he laughed. The guy hunched over for a second and then tackled Cole.