Chapter Thirteen

“Mom. This is Daisy,” Cole whispered. 

A short woman pulled me in tightly for a hug. I forced a smile and hugged her back. She pulled back, her hands on my arms, and looked me up and down.

“You sure are beautiful,” she murmured. “I’m Mrs. Becker, you’re welcome to call me Mom though, lots of people do.” 

A true smile lit up my face as I blushed. “Thank you,” I whispered. “You’re quite lovely yourself.”

She smiled. “Thank you Dear, the others are in the living room. If you want to go see them, it’s right down the hallway,” she added, pointing down the hallway, “I have to speak with my son for a second.” 

I nodded, gave one look to Cole, took a deep breath, and began to walk down the hallway. Laughter began to get louder as I got closer, I turned the corner and soon the laughter stopped. Eyes flew to me. Copies of Cole’s mom filled the room. Three kids sat on the ground, playing with wooden figures. Five others sat in the chairs and on the couch. 

Everyone just stared at me. An arm snaked around me, I turned, expecting to see Cole but instead, I saw Derek.

“Family, this is Daisy, Cole's one and only,” he chuckled. “No need to be so cold.”

“Derek, for the last time, stop being so flirty,” a girl laughed. She looked to be around nineteen and was beautiful, she had brown hair with pale green eyes. A light sundress flowed as she walked over to me, shoved Derek back, and pulled me into a hug. “We’re a hugging family. By the way, I’m Sage, the youngest.”

I hugged her back. “I don’t mind,” I laughed. 

“I hope my brother hasn’t said anything too stupid about us,” the woman from the couch said. “I’m Charlene, the oldest and only married one with kids here.” 

Sage finally pulled back from the hug and went to sit back down with a young man around her age. “Oh,” she said. “And this is Brixton, my boyfriend.” He waved to me as I waved back. 

My eyes turned to two men who sat at the small coffee table playing some sort of card game. Charlene elbowed the tallest one, the only one who didn’t look like the other Beckers. His head turned. 

“Oh. Sorry, I’m Beck, Charlene's husband and Cole's brother-in-law.” 

I didn’t seem to miss the other guy who was at the table, that must’ve been Cole's older brother, the oldest Becker. 

I smiled. “Nice to meet you all, who are those three?” I whispered, pointing to the three kids on the ground.

“The two twin boys are mine,” Charlene whispered. “Arlo and Arsen, they’re four.”

“You don’t know who the girl is?” Sage murmured. 

Derek awkwardly laughed and shoved me away. I took that as a hint and cleared my throat. “I’ll be right back, I should check on Cole.” 

I put my head down and walked away. I found the bathroom and shut the door behind me. Breathing was starting to get harder. My throat felt like it was closing. I slid down the wall and gasped for breaths. The door creaked open, and someone slipped in and shut the door behind them. They sat on the ground and held me in their arms. 

“It’s okay Love,” Cole whispered. 

I felt my body relax at his voice. I leaned into him and began to cry, I cried my eyes out as he just held me. 

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” 

He rubbed my arm and ran his hand through my hair, he kissed my forehead and whispered softly in my ear that it’ll be okay. 

Soon I calmed down and was well enough to realize what had just happened. I wobbly stood up and looked in the mirror, mascara coated my face. Cole stood and took a towel from a drawer and wet it, softly he wiped it off from under my eyes. 

“Why’d you lie?”

He took a deep breath. “I was scared you’d run away.”

“I would never run away,” I whispered. “Not even now.”

“Really?”

“Really. I-I’ve always wanted to be a mom. I’m sure your family thinks I’m weird.”

“They don’t.”

“Okay. Thank you.”

“Of course Love.”

I took another deep breath and opened the door. Cole went in front of me and walked into the living room, glares set in on him. 

“Hey fam,” he said. They all just glared. 

“You’re such a b*tch,” Sage grumbled. 

“Language!” Mrs. Becker scolded. 

“Mom. I’m nineteen,” she murmured. 

I walked out and everyone's faces changed. They smiled politely, even Cole's older brother turned to look at me. Then it happened.

Winne stood up and began to run to Cole. “Daddy!”

Cole picked her up and smiled. “How’s my little bear?”

“I missed you,” she whispered. 

Tears pricked my eyes. This was really a sweet moment to watch. She turned her head and saw me then she looked back at Cole.

“Is this my mommy?” 

The room went silent, everyone just watched and waited to see what Cole would say. I couldn’t do this anymore. I reached and took her out of Cole's arms. 

“Yes, Winne. But I’m your new mommy,” I murmured. I held her close, she melted into my arms. A tear fell down my face, Cole reached over and wiped it away. 

“Okay. That was the sweetest thing to watch,” Derek whispered. He took his handkerchief out and wiped under his eyes. 

“You’re a very lucky man my brother,” Sage mumbled. “I promise you won’t be this lucky next time, not if I have it my way.”

“I am very lucky,” he said. “And there won’t be a next time.”

Questions you should answer because they help me grow the characters in good ways:

Do you ever get mad at Cole?

Who's your favorite Becker so far?

What do you think will happen next?

What's your favorite name from this story so far? Why?

Thank you!!