Chapter Four

November, 1963. London.

Brian led me into the hotel room, which I realized what really more of a suite. We passed through a foyer and eventually ended up in a little sitting room. I'd done some research before flying to England about the band, so I wasn't confused when I saw four, dark-haired men sprawled across the room. One was sitting in a chair with his legs crossed, looking like he was ready to sleep. The second and third were standing looking out the window, talking about something. The fourth was stretched across the sofa, his shirt unbuttoned a bit.

"Boys, this is Eva Haney from Vogue. She's the one doing the story on you," Brian introduced.

The two on the sofa and couch stood up, and the two at the window came over to Brian and I.

"George," said the man from the sofa, shaking my hand. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Same."

"I'm Paul," said one from the window. He shook my hand, too, and winked as a third man stepped over.

"John," said another from the window. "I'm unique."

"Oh?" I laughed, a little nervous. The fourth man stepped forward and grinned broadly.

"Ringo."

"Ringo?" I repeated. "Where's that come from?"

"Me mum calls me 'Richard'," Ringo replied, "but everyone else calls me Roger."

"What?" I asked.

"He's joking," George laughed. "He's Ringo."

"Okay," I laughed. The boys all seemed friendly enough, definitely no one intimidating. "Well, when can you start the interviews?"

"Whenever you want," Brian grinned. With that, I suggested that we order some coffee (the boys and Brian ordered tea) and start talking.

(June, 1997. Paris.)

"We've reached the point in your story where you've met the Beatles," Wes said. "The Beatles! That must've been pretty exciting."

"It became more exciting as their popularity grew," I replied. "At the time, they were just beginning to be talked about in the States. Most of their popularity was in the U.K."

"And your first interview with the Beatles," Wes continued, "what was it like?"

"Oh, you know, the basic background stuff, their thoughts on music and fame, style choices- the usual stuff a magazine writer would ask," I said with a wave of my hand. 

"But that wasn't the end of your relationship with them, was it?"

"No," I smiled. "It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"Were you still in contact with Danny in sixty-three?"

"Yes."

"What did he think about the Beatles?"

"He wanted to sign them for a record deal," I laughed. "He was right, but Parlophone beat him to it. Danny liked them, but he hadn't met them yet."

"And your relationships with the Beatles themselves- can you expand on that?"

I sighed and adjusted my seat. How to expand on the Beatles... how could it be done simply? The truth of it was, there was no simple way to do it.

"After I'd met the band in London, I eventually began traveling with them. I was on the plane when they arrived in America. I was still with Vogue but I my writing material wasn't exactly with Vogue's style. I kept all of my material, thinking I could write a book or something someday or submit it to a different magazine. Later, it worked out," I said.