Chapter Seven

(August, 1964. New York, NY.)

"What are you doing here?" I shrieked. 

"Ringo told me he saw you head up here, I came to check on you," Danny said. He had been sleeping on the couch. 

"Oh," I said, folding my arms.

There was an awkward silence.

"Well, we could have breakfast, I guess," I began, clearing my throat. Since we were in a luxury suite, there was plenty of food. 

"How's toast and orange juice?"

"Great," Danny said, smiling. 

Once the toast was ready, we sat down on the couch to eat.

After a few moments of eating in silence, Danny cleared his throat and began.

"Did you have fun last night?" 

"I did," I laughed, "if you couldn't tell." Danny laughed, looking down at his plate.

"Just checking."

"Where did you run off to?"

"Oh," Danny said, clearing his throat for what must've been the hundredth time, "I got a call earlier that day. Carrie- my old girlfriend- was in town, I guess she wanted to talk things over."

"And?"

"I said no," Danny replied, shrugging. "I'm over it."

"Good for you," I said, trying to smile encouragingly.

"The boys seem nice," Danny continued. He was acting calm, which was surprising since our last meeting. 

"Yeah, they were asking where you went. They wanted to hang with you."

"The Beatles want to hang with me? I'm flattered," Danny grinned. He paused again, fiddling with the remaining bits of toast. "Eva, I just...I wanted to apologize for when we last saw each other. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I, uh, just felt I had to tell you how I felt."

I just nodded in reply, unsure of what to say.

"If you ever need me," Danny continued, "I'll be there."

This was such a serious conversation for Danny; he was acting so different than he did when we were younger. He was actually seeming mature, and that idea- that he'd grown up a little- made me smile.

"Thanks, Danny," I said. "I didn't mean to hurt you, I just- I was caught unaware. I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

The phone rang in the suite, and since it was closer to Danny, he picked it up. 

"It's for you," he said, handing me the phone.

"Hello?"

"HANEY!" 

"Hi, John," I laughed. I could hear Paul, Ringo, and George in the background talking, and then Brian telling them to settle down.