Chapter Five

(April, 1964. New York, NY.)

After the whole nightclub incident, I had tried to lay as low as possible. I returned to focusing primarily on my job (how shocking and unthinkable!) and saw less of the Beatles. I kept in touch, of course; we wrote letters and occasionally called each other on the phone. They were busy recording and filming their new movie.

The media had lambasted me as the girl who was trying to split up Paul and Jane, the girl who had masquaraded as a friend of the boys only to get one to sleep with her. Both (and all of the other theories) were so far from the truth it was unbelievable. From what Paul had been telling me, though, his relationship with Jane wasn't going all that great anyway. The press about him and I didn't help things.  

I returned to writing about fashion and working on my photography. Marian was set to visit me on the weekend; she mentioned something about an in-service day where she didn't have to go to the school where she was teaching- or something like that.

Presently, I was sitting in a cafe God know's where. I had left the office early since Cass, my boss, was irritating me so much and had just hopped in the nearest cab and asked where the best coffee was. That was a vague description in New York, but I guess I was trusting a stranger/cabby. I sat down at the nearest window spot and began reading some of the notes Cass had written on the draft of my article and photo spread. 

"Haney? Eva Haney?" 

I looked up. This sometimes happened since people recognized me so well from being seen with the Beatles and being one of the top photographers at Vogue

"Wow, you look...great! It's been a year or so, hasn't it?"

"Danny?" I said, a smile spreading across my face. 

"What, didn't recognize your old pal from Pittsburgh?"

"Not with that outfit, I didn't!" I jumped up and hugged Danny Love. 

"I'm trying to look hip," he smiled, "you know, on trend with all those Californians."

"Sit down," I motioned. "Wow, it's so weird to think I haven't actually seen you in so long! I mean, the phone calls and- what are you doing in New York?"

"Oh, usual business," Danny shrugged. "Really, Marian gave me a call last week and said she'd be in visiting you. I figured I might as well see you both."

"That's great!"

"Plus, I wanted to see how my new apartment is looking," Danny said, smirking.

"You have two homes, now?" I asked.

"Perks of being a record executive," Danny said. "Speaking of which, the apartment should be finished by the time Marian's here. I was thinking of throwing a house warming party? You free?"

"Of course! I'm not up to much these days beside work," I said. "You're going to throw a party like you used to do in Pittsburgh?"

"You bet," Danny smiled. He looked older compared to when I'd last seen him. His hair was a little longer; perhaps he had hopped on the Beatle-mop trend. He was also very well dressed, clean-cut, sharp- all those adjectives. Danny cleared his throat.

"How are those famous friends you talk about so much?" Danny said, not looking me in the eye. 

"The Beatles?"

"Who else?" Danny laughed.

"Oh, they're good. I haven't seen them since they went back to England in March to start their movie. But they're good."