The Year of Yes - Part 5

Saying yes to taking chances

Late July 2023

"Hey, sorry," he says, looking apologetic. "Coach is looking for me. Can I call you back in a few? I know I just threw that question out there, but he wants to move our meeting up."

"No, go. It's okay. Work first."

"Sorry, Tay. Like thirty minutes tops. See you soon."

Taylor watches as Travis's face disappears from the screen in front of her. She can't help the smile that spreads across her face.

This is ridiculous, she chastises herself. She just met him.

The problem is that it doesn't feel like she just met him. It feels like talking to someone she's known forever, like one of her oldest friends rather than someone she's met in person once—twice if you count dinner one night and brunch the next morning as two times. But still, they've only been talking for a couple of weeks, and somehow, it feels like years.

She flops back onto the bed. Benji comes over and lands on the pillow above her head, ready to investigate the fuss she's making. He is used to her dramatics and once he knows it's okay, he settles for tapping her on the crown of her head before batting at the ends of her hair.

"Thanks, Benj," she says, reaching up to scratch behind his ears.

The past two weeks have been a lot—in the best way. Miles called two days after the Kansas City shows to tell her about his buddy, Travis, with whom he'd golfed with that day. Apparently, he'd spent the whole game gushing about her show and sharing his adorable failed attempt to meet her. And by that evening she had his number and Keleigh cheerleading her on to give him a shot.

"He's a good dude, Tay. Honest. The only bad thing I can say about him is that he doesn't play for the Eagles."

So she said what the hell and sent a text...that he promptly thought was a joke. But once she convinced him with a phone call, they had talked for hours.

And now countless texts, selfies, FaceTimes, and two dates later, she is seriously considering the biggest leap she's made in years.

*****

She's been upfront with him from the start, telling him early on exactly what she wants from a relationship. She is done with the half-assed commitments she's had from men in the past. Done with being with anyone who will not let her be exactly who she is rather than who they want her to be.

If she is going to do this, she is staying true to her word from the Fourth and taking no shit from no man.

Travis just looks at her steadily and replies, "Okay."

"That's it?" she questions. "Okay?"

"Yeah, I mean, that is exactly what I want too," he says with a shrug. "I've done the no-commitment thing and the on-and-off thing. I'm 33, and in the past year, I've realized that stuff no longer appeals to me. I wasn't trying to just get in your pants with the friendship bracelet, Taylor."

"No?" she asks.

"Nope," he says shaking his head and lowering his voice. "I wanted to date you. Saw some TikTok of you toting your cat around like a baby and wanted to date the hell out of you, in fact."

She laughs at his silliness but also realizes he's being deadly serious. He's just making it light to give her an out.

"Well, let's do it then."

"Yeah?"

"Yes," she says with finality.

He leans closer to the screen, props his chin on his hand, and waits until she looks at him.