Kiss me through the phone

"I'm having deja vu," she says peering over at the phone propped up against her water bottle as she pours soup into a bowl.

"Yeah, it's been a while since we've done this, huh?"

She takes in his wet hair and Chiefs red practice shirt on the screen. He's at the breakfast bar, chin propped up on his hand, looking at her with tired eyes.

"Good practice?" she asks.

"Yeah, felt real good out there. The rest has made a big difference even with still working out. I think all the extra endurance stuff I've been doing the last month really helped."

"Good! I sent you something to take in with you tomorrow. Did you get it?"

He looks at her with his head tilted to the side and laughs, "Did I get the copious amounts of cookies you overnighted to the house, Tay? I might have. I love you, crazy girl."

"Hey, the new guys deserve cookies too," she asserts before pointing at him with her spoon. "But Travis Michael, if you don't give some to Andy, you're in hot water with both of us."

"Yes, ma'am," he replies with a shake of his head. "When did you even have time to make them?"

"The dough was in the freezer," she shrugs.

"The freezer?"

"Trav, there is always cookie dough in the freezer."

"Even here?" he questions, eying the refrigerator.

"Especially there. Although, I'll regret telling you that. Please don't eat it, you'll get salmonella."

"Never have before..."

"Do you want to puke your way through France?" she asks. "I'll text you how to bake a couple at a time. Just no raw dough."

"Oooo, I'm getting in on the Tay baking secrets."

"You're a dork. It's a wonder you are still alive."

"I'm your dork and you've conditioned me to expect baked goods regularly," he reminds her.

She shakes her head as she grabs her phone and soup to go sit on the sofa in the next room.

"How was rehearsal?" he asks, moving to the living room himself.

"Solid, I think we're ready. Just nitpicking a few things. I was actually more into practicing the first couple of surprise songs today."

"That's good. Mashups?"

"One new song and one mashup for now," she lists off before taking a bite. "I think I'm good to be done by Thursday so we'll have perfect timing for one last free weekend."

"Awesome, I just got my confirmation for my flight back," he says, tapping something on the phone. "I'm ready to be home. I mean, I am home. But I miss you. You know...you're home."

She leans her head on her hand, looking at him fondly, and says "I know. Me too. I've loved these last few weeks. They've been...I don't know...peaceful isn't the word, but-"

"I know what you mean, baby."

"Settled," she realizes.

"Exactly."

They are quiet for a moment, just smiling at each other. And then she adds, "This summer is going to be so fun, but I'll miss this. Well, not this," she says pointing between them on the phone, "This will be part of it. I mean the break together."

"Me too," he agrees. "But hey, we have our schedule all figured out. And besides the end of July and the beginning of August, we can make it without going too long apart."

"Then we're back on the same continent and I can be there to cheer you on," she replies, waving her hands over her head.

He huffs out a laugh, his cheeks turning pink. She loves that he still gets blushy at her cheering him on.

"Yes," he agrees. "I wish they'd release the league schedule to see if my bye is while you're back on tour in the fall. I know I'll want one more show before you're done."

"Gunning for MVP of the Eras, babe?" she jokes.

"You already know," he says with a nod of his head.

She sits her soup bowl down and leans back against the sofa cushions, pulling the phone close.

"You already are the MVP," she tells him. "Remember when Tree thought we were crazy trying to line up our already insane schedules last year? We showed her."

"We showed everyone," he laughs.

"Not us though," she reminds him. "We knew. Everyone thought we were crazy, but we knew."

"Hell, yeah. Stupid to fight it, that's what you said."

She takes in his face on the small screen, remembering how she felt last year. How her whole world had fallen apart and she was barely putting it back together. And then this man showed up suddenly and it all righted itself. And their worlds oriented around them as if it was always supposed to be that way. So she adds, "Because I knew. You did too."

"I did," he agrees, yawning. "Sorry, Tay. Not used to practice."

"S'okay. Want to meet me in bed to watch more True Detective? Like how we used to fall asleep during the season when I was back in New York?"

"Let's do it. Talk to you in 15?"

"Yeah, love you."

"Love you too, girl."