Chapter 1: Moving Someplace Strange

--First chapter!!! Seriously let me know what you think!! I would love to hear some feedback since this is my first actual attempt at writing something! --

Finally. You sigh as you set your last box of belongings down on the scratchy carpet of your new apartment. Though, it was far from new. The building you decided on last minute was a least a hundred years old but with cheap rent, you didn't have the room to complain. Reaching to wipe a bead of sweat that had made its way from your forehead down to your temple, you look around the space as dust particles override your senses, causing you to sniffle a bit. You sigh again and decided that you needed a break from the stuffiness that was your new home. With that, you walked out of your apartment, 403, and head towards the janky pully system that the apartments called an elevator. As you step onto the unsteady floor, you feel the elevator shift under your weight. The feeling made you nauseous, expecting the elevator to snap right there and take you down with it. Nonetheless, you press the button for first floor and leaned back against the wall of the metal box that carried your life.

Watching the numbers above the doors descend painfully slow, you cross your arms against your chest. Was this a good idea? How am I supposed to live here if I can't even stand being in my own apartment? At least I'm not there anymore... Your thoughts concluded as the elevator made a high-pitched ding, letting you know you reached the first floor. As the doors open, you step out of the death box with relief. You look around the lobby; a front desk without someone occupying it, obnoxiously fake plants decorated each side of the front doors of the apartment building, and a "mail room" if you could even call it that. It was just a bunch of rusty metal boxes nailed up against the wall, but again, could you complain? The doors of the elevator behind you screeched closed, making you jump. With that, you walk over to the mailbox designated to your apartment and pull out the new keys that once filled the pocket of your shorts. Grabbing your mail key, you slide it into the lock with the label 403 with a turn of the key and pull.

Nothing happens.

You furrow your eyebrows and turn the key again, pulling a little harder this time.

Same result.

You tilt your head back with frustration and let out a groan. "You've got to be kidding..." you say to yourself before a voice interrupts your next attempt.

"You have to turn the key all the way down." A husky voice says behind you.

You whip your head around with wide eyes, meeting the brown eyes of a much taller brunette male. You didn't even hear the elevator open up again. He gives you a toothy grin and moves next to you in front of what you assume is his own mailbox and sticks a key in. You watch as the brunette turns the key a full 180 degrees and opened it with ease.

"The locks are a little janky, you have to turn it more than you think." He said, turning his head back towards you as he pulled out a few envelopes.

You look back at your own mailbox and turn the key all the way this time and opened up the door. You sighed with relief and a little embarrassment. "Thanks." You say and pull out a couple of envelopes addressed to you.

"No problem." The brunette says with the same toothy grin he gave you before. "I'm Larry. Larry Johnson." he holds out a hand to you.

You turn back to look at him and took his hand into yours; they're warm. "Y/N. Y/N L/N." you say as you shake his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Y/N. Did you just move here? I didn't hear anything about a new resident from Addison." he asked, pulling his hand from yours and resting it in the pocket of his ripped jeans.

"Yeah, uh 403." You speak. Come to think of it, you haven't even met the owner of the building. Sure, you sent emails back and forth figuring out the best time for you move in a soon as possible, but the guy didn't even take you to your apartment once you arrived. "It was a last-minute decision."