Chapter 5: Walking and Talking

You've been walking with Sal for what felt like miles through the silence of the night. Though in reality, it was just a few houses down from the position you were in by the curb. The air was thick, not with just the humidity of the September air shifting from summer to fall, but with unannounced (and very obvious) tension. You let the warm air out of your lungs with a small sigh, taking the risk of glancing at the bluenette next to you and spoke.

"What did you want to talk about?" you ask, knowing exactly what he wanted to talk about, but you figured it would get this awkward conversation going and over with fast.

A sigh emitted from the masked figure, meeting your gaze after. "I want to talk about what happened on the balcony..." he paused, letting his thoughts fester before speaking again. "I shouldn't have put you in that position. I can only imagine how creeped out you were when I told you to kiss me. We've only known each other for a few days, and I've been nothing but weird towards you. And for that, I'm sorry." he stated. "I'm not usually like this, and not that this is an excuse at all, but I've also been incapacitated one way or another when I talk to you alone. But its not the person I am. I get cocky and bold and... I say things I regret."

You nod with acknowledgement as he spoke, taking in his words sincerely. When he finished, you give a smile. "I understand and it's okay. You don't have to feel bad about that. I get it. Sometimes, you say or do some questionable things in those states, but it doesn't change the way I think or feel about you at all, Sal." you reassure. You tear you gaze away from him and look forward. "Though, I gotta ask. Why did you ask me to kiss you of all things?"

Sal looked down at his feet as you walked, taking his time with each step and making an effort to not step on the cracks in between the concrete slabs beneath you both. "I don't know." he simply says, but you stay quiet to let him continue. "Part of me thinks its because I've never been kissed and the other part thinks..." he stops and shakes his head, his hair swaying with the movement. "I've never had a 'first kiss' like everyone else has. I thought maybe if I had just gotten it out of the way, then I would feel a little differently about myself."

You hummed in understanding. "What do you think of yourself, Sal?"

"I don't really know, but they're not good things."

"Why not?"

"...Because I don't believe it when people tell me otherwise. Larry and Ash have both seen my face and they were both unphased by it, but I only think that's because we've all known each other for a while. But, when you saw my face, you were also unphased, and I'd only known you for a few hours and that makes me think that you were playing it off to pity me."

"I don't pity you, Sal."

He furrowed his brows with confusion and looked in the direction of your darkened silhouette. "What do you think of my face then, in full honesty."

"I already told you, multiple times if I recall." you reiterate, keeping your gaze forward as you both trudged down the street. "Your face is still a face, it's just different, like everyone else." 

That was confusing.

"I mean, in the sense that everyone else looks different from each other, your face is just another face, different from everyone else, just like everyone else." You say.

That was even more confusing...

"I mean-"

"I get it. Everyone's different." he laughed. "I know that, but my face is..."

"More different?"

"Yes! Exactly!"

"Let me ask you an uncomfortable question."