14: we're offered a quest.

The next morning, Chiron moved us to cabin three.

I didn't have to share with anybody, but my brother Percy. We had plenty of room for all our stuff: the Minotaur's horn, one set of spare clothes, and a toiletry bag. We got to sit at our own dinner table, pick all our own activities, call "lights out" whenever we felt like it, and not listen to anybody else.

And we were absolutely miserable.

Just when I'd started to feel accepted, to feel I had a home in cabin eleven and I might be a normal kid-or as normal as you can be when you're a half-blood-we'd been separated out as if we had some rare disease.

Nobody mentioned the hellhound, but I got the feeling they were all talking about it behind our back. The attack had scared everybody. It sent two messages: one, that Percy and I were the son and daughter of the Sea God; and two, monsters would stop at nothing to kill us. They could even invade a camp that had always been considered safe.

The other campers steered clear of Percy as much as possible. Cabin eleven was too nervous to have sword class with us after what Percy had done to the Ares folks in the woods, so Percy's lessons with Luke became one-on-one. He pushed my
Brother harder than ever, and wasn't afraid to bruise him up in the process.

"You're going to need all the training you can get," he promised, as they were working with swords and flaming torches. "Now let's try that viper-beheading strike again. Fifty more repetitions."

The campers were cautious of me and my water bending powers but didn't seem to have steered clear of me entirely. They still wanted to have a chat with me and the Hermes cabin mind me joining in on their training sessions, the Stoll brothers gladly taught me.

The Ares cabin were pretty friendly with me but i think that was mostly because Clarisse had told them to. But nevertheless, the Ares cabin seemed to like me a lot. But so did i with the Apollo kids, they still tried to teach me how to use music instruments. I didn't have the talent for it.

Annabeth still taught us Greek in the mornings, but she seemed distracted. Every time we said something, she scowled at us, as if we'd just poked her between the eyes.

After lessons, she would walk away muttering to herself: "Quest ... Poseidon? ... Dirty rotten ... Got to make a plan ..."

Clarisse kept her distance from Percy, though her venomous looks made it clear she wanted to kill him for breaking her magic spear. I wished she would just make peace with Percy or something. But that was the least likely thing that Clarisse would ever do in regard to my brother.

I knew somebody at camp resented us, because one night we came into our cabin and found a mortal newspaper dropped inside the doorway, a copy of the New York Daily News, opened to the Metro page. The article took us almost an hour to read, because the angrier Percy got, the more the words floated around on the page.

'BOY, GIRL AND MOTHER STILL MISSING AFTER FREAK CAR ACCIDENT.
By Eileen Smythe.

Sally Jackson, son Percy and daughter Daphne are still missing one week after their mysterious disappearance. The family's badly burned '78 Camaro was discovered last Saturday on a north Long Island road with the roof ripped off and the front axle broken. The car had flipped and skidded for several hundred feet before exploding.

Mother, daughter and son had gone for a weekend vacation to Montauk, but left hastily, under mysterious circumstances. Small traces of blood were found in the car and near the scene of the wreck, but there were no other signs of the missing Jacksons. Residents in the rural area reported seeing nothing unusual around the time of the accident.

Ms. Jackson's husband, Gabe Ugliano, claims that his stepson, Percy Jackson, is a troubled child who has been kicked out of numerous boarding schools and has expressed violent tendencies in the past. Always seeming to get his younger twin expelled along with him.