Ch-3: Last Message

Davin's POV

After I got ready in my armour and went down to the main hall I was greeted by the others as well as my father and mother.

"Father what is going on?" I asked him confused by the sudden request to be here. My father looked to my mother before breaking the news to me.

"One of our fellow members was ambushed." He said seriously. I was taken a back by this, but wanted to help any way I could but didn't know what caused this so I asked about the event.

"What happened? And who was it? Was it the Empire? Rebel partisans linked to Saw Gurrera?" I asked as my confusion started to turn to anger. My mother put her hand on my shoulder causing me to calm down with her gentle demeanor.

"All we know as of now, is that it was Mason......your old friend he sent us a distress call and we didn't get it until this morning." My father told me as he gave me the information he had.

My anger turned to sadness when I heard his name. Mason..... we were great friends, we grew up together when Mason was just a foundling. There was that many other kids of our age around to we took by one another up until we grew up and had to take on responsibilities to provide for the clan.

"Where was his last transmission located?" I asked hoping he was alive but deep down I knew I would be recovering his remains. I heard nothing but silence as my father was hesitating to give me an answer.

It was a strange thing to see on my father's face as he was always a strong man. But right now in this moment he looked even frozen. I turned to Vector who too was hesitant to say anything, even Estelea said nothing as well. That's when my mother spoke breaking the silence between all of us, she being the one to be strongest during this hard moment.

"Mandalore....." She said. With that simple word, I knew now why they all hesitated to say it. That was their home originally as well as mine, but I was to young to remember anything that happened on that planet or what happened to it.

"Father I need to go there and try to save him......" I tried saying but was cut off by his words.

"No!!! I forbid it !!! That planet is cursed and the Empire controls that planet." He tried warning me, despite his outburst I could see the sorrow in his eyes.

"Please, father he is my friend." I pleaded with him but he spoke nothing about it.

"Kid, that planet is under Imperial control they are always monitoring Mandalorians especially anyone flying in that sector. For all we know he was working with the Rebellion. And we all know he sympathized them." Vector interjected supporting my father's decision.

"That doesn't matter. He's still part of our Clan. He doesn't deserve to be left for dead." I tried arguing back but was denied once again.

"No its to dangerous I will not send anyone there. I will not let anymore of us die." My father said. His words angered me as I slammed my fists on the halo-table.

"Dammit!!! Fine !!! I'll go by myself." I said as I turned my back to them. My father shouted at me as I left the meeting.

"Don't you dare Davin!!!" My father shouted at me as I left. I looked to Scythe who was standing there quietly the whole time. I turned to see my mother holding on to my father as she knew he would try and physically stop me.

My mother and I had an understanding that my father makes decisions for the clan, but deep down he couldn't control me or her. She knew how much of a friend Mason was to me so I knew she would let me leave no matter how much it would hurt her.

So like that I departed with Scythe and began my journey to Mandalore without any support to come to my aid if I were to fall to the same fate as my friend.

Author's POV

As Davin and Scythe started making their journey to Mandalore a new character of our story is revealed. Enter Luna Reila a Zeltron woman sent by the Rebellion to meet with sympathetic supporters of her cause. She was assigned to go and meet covertly with contacts in Mandalore space in order to help them leave the system.

She was working by herself with the help of a Mandalorian mercenary named Mason who was hired by her contacts as protection from the ruling puppet government and of course the Empire.

Their mission was going smoothly until the last transport left the system. That's when a strike force of Imperials had intercepted Mason's ship. The Imperial force had damaged Mason's ship too greatly for them both to escape.

So Mason made the noble decision to stay aboard the vessel and fight to the bitter end. While Luna went to escape pod with the only words she was parted with by Mason was this.

"Go, here take this transponder my friend will hone onto it and rescue you!!!" Mason told her as she hurried to the escape pod. The last thing Mason did before sending his ship into the Imperial light cruiser was to send a message back to his home but more importantly his old best friend Davin.

"Hey, everyone... It's Mason. I wish I could tell you I'll make it back home, but I won't. No one will ever know how to find it don't worry. Mandalore... it's a nightmare. The home of our heros, our people... they're suffering. I've seen things... things no one should witness. This is my final message. Davin, if you hear this, remember you're my brother. Do what's right. Goodbye, old friend. Thank you... for everything."

With a heavy heart, Mason's last transmission echoed into the void before he sacrificed himself, engulfing the Imperials and his pain in the flames of the light cruiser.

Luna watched as she witnessed the explosion from the surface of Mandalia the planet closest to Mandalore and luckily breathable for her sake. With what just happened in the sector Luna knew more Imps would be coming.

So she took what supplies she could and fled the escape pod sight, then into the forest to escape any detection, with the hopes of Mason's friend finding and saving her.

End of the chapter