"You're gonna go far"

The three Shelby brothers sat on the old dusty sofa in the living room with their heads in their hands while their sister, only nine at the time ran around the room with her dolls pretending they were flying

All that could be heard in the house was Ada trying to make flying sounds over the agonizing screams of their mother upstairs.

Minutes later, the screams ceased and the sound of a baby's cry was heard and the three boys let out sighs of relief simultaneously.

Tommy made his way upstairs after his aunt called out for him and she slipped out of the room and handed Tommy a bundle of blankets with a small face poking out.

Polly put a hand on Thomas's shoulder comfortingly "Thomas this is your brother. His name is Finn. I think there's another one coming"

"Pol what do you mean another one" Tommy asked frantically, only to get a door slammed into his face.

Within minutes of the new baby being introduced to the rest of the family, the screams started again.

This time was different. Everyone could hear it, even little Ada who was oblivious to anything other than pretty dresses and dolls most of the time.

Their mother's screams were not out of just pain and discomfort. No, these were much more serious. They sounded desperate and fearful.

These screams went on for forty minutes and Tommy felt he was going mad, somehow the small baby that still lay in his arms was looking as peaceful as ever and asleep, completely oblivious to the horrors his mother was going through.

Once again, the screams dwindled and the wails of a baby were heard again but the boys remained tense and quiet.

A little while later, Polly had come down holding a second bundle of blankets and put it down in Arthur's arms.

"This is your sister, Lola."

Smiles found their way onto everyone's faces as their aunt Pol sat down on the armchair next to Ada.

"I'm sorry to have to say this but your mother didn't make it through," Polly said, her voice breaking slightly as she watched all of her nephews' smiles drop off their faces and Ada began to wail before burying her head into her aunt's neck.

That was the night the Shelby's lives changed forever.

Two lives began, at the expense of one.