𝐈𝐈 : 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲

𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨

"𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐬𝐞𝐞"

Lola was sitting at home alone, sulking.

Her brothers were at the fair and refused to let her come.

She begged and begged to no avail. Tommy said it was because she was still grounded but he'd taken her out when she was grounded before, so Lola had concluded that her family hated her.

Polly had gotten sick of Lola moping and left for church, Ada was god knows where, and so there she sat, in the living room watching the clock impatiently.

The silence was broken when the sound of desperate screams and yells filled the streets of watery lane.

Lola rushed to the window and pulled the curtain back to see coppers pulling people out of their houses and throwing things out of their homes.

Lola panicked initially and didn't know what to do but she remembered what Tommy had said about hiding specific things if anyone was to come into the house when she was alone and so she ran as fast as she could into the den and grabbed the main books before she shoved them into a small, hidden cupboard.

Lola wasn't sure of what she was going to do when the coppers eventually got into her house but she sat on the sofa, anxiously waiting for their arrival.

Sure enough, just minutes later the door was burst open and coppers began tearing the place apart.

Lola stood in shock for a few seconds before she began yelling at them to stop, which they didn't.

Before she could think, she felt a firm grip on her shoulder and she turned around slowly, praying that it was her aunt.

It wasn't. It was a tall man with a stupid-looking hat on with a mean look on his face. His eyes were cold and void of any emotion.

"Miss Shelby I assume" he spoke loud and confidently.

Lola didn't miss the Irish accent and began wondering who this was and what they wanted.

Then, as if all the dots started joining up, she figured this was the man responsible for the horrible beating her oldest brother received.

She remembered Arthur saying he was Irish and an inspector, clearly this was him.

"And who are you" Lola asked, tilting her head to the side slightly.

"I'm Inspector Campbell" he answered.