Back Then We

(Kaminari's POV)

I finally had the chance to ask Kyouka about her little run-in with my ex. I totally forgot about it when I got back from my trip.

I haven't seen Kiko since we broke up, so I was surprised to hear that Kyo ran into her in this area.

Kyo had a lot of questions.

"She said you talked about me a lot when you talked about high school."

"Yeah. I guess I did."

"What kind of things did you tell her?"

Part of me just wanted to tell her, "Don't worry about it," but I know how she is. I know she needs more than just that to feel alright.

"I told her about how we were best friends and the things we did. I never mentioned having feelings for you."

"But...did you have feelings for me while you were with her?"

I hesitated to answer that question, but I had to be honest.

"I know I shouldn't have...but I think I did." I sigh, "But that's all in the past. It doesn't matter now."

For the first time since high school, I saw that insecure side of her. I tried to reassure her, but she still seemed uneasy about some things.

"She still cares about you." Kyo says, "What if she tries to come back into your life?"

"Then nothing." I shake my head, "Nothing's gonna happen between me and her. I have you. You're all I could ever want."

She seemed okay after we talked for a while. The only thing is that conversation got us talking about her ex, too.

When she spoke about him, she still seemed scared.

"What would happen if you ran into him again?" I ask.

She just shrugs, "I don't think I want to know. I just hope I'm not alone if that ever does happen."

Kyouka completely erased this guy from her life. No pictures, no videos, nothing. She told me his name, but he doesn't seem to have any social media accounts with it. So I'd have no idea if I ran into this guy on the streets. It's a shame. I really would just like to talk to him.

I asked Kyo if she ever considered getting the police involved with what happened. She said she did, but it's too late now. There's no evidence left.

I've asked her about her trauma. It's a sensitive topic, but she says she still gets flashbacks. She says some sexual acts trigger those feelings, but I've helped her get more comfortable.

I let her take the lead whenever we do stuff like that. I want her to feel safe with me.

I had a conversation with my parents over the phone recently. I told them I'm in a fairly new relationship, but I hadn't told them all the details. All they know is I'm dating someone from school. I think I'll be visiting them sometime soon. Maybe I can bring Kyo if she's ready for that.

She told me about her parents a little while back. Around that time, she was kind of upset with them. I hope things are better or at least getting better for them.

Kyo's relationship with her parents started going a little downhill when we were second years in high school. She would vent to me about things, and I would be there to listen and offer advice if I had any. It's kind of sad. She used to be super close with her parents, but now they barely talk.

My parents know who Kyouka is, only because I talked about her so much in high school. I wonder if she told her parents about me too back then and if they'd even recognize me if they saw me now.

Kyo and I shared an extra long hug that night. I know she had a lot on her mind, but neither of us said a word during the hug. It was so quiet, I could've sworn I heard both of our hearts beating.

We've always been each other's comfort person. Even when we didn't talk, I would look back at old memories and feel that same warmth. She's always had a special place in my heart.

She's been staying at place a lot more often now. I didn't even realize it until we were hanging out with our friends one day, and Ashido jokingly said that I'm stealing her roommate.

"How big is your place, Kami? Maybe Jirou should just move in with you." Kirishima suggested.

"What? But who's gonna be my roommate? I can't live alone." Ashido said.

"I could live with you." Kiri shrugged, "If it's cheaper than dorming, that's even better."

"Really? You'd live with me?" She suddenly lit up.

The rest of us just looked at each other and let them discuss that on their own.

Looks like Kyo and Mina are seriously talking about this change now.

I would love for Kyo to come live with me. My place isn't the biggest, but it's enough for the two of us. I'd love to wake up next to her every day. The first thing I'd see is her adorable face. Who wouldn't want that?

I'd love for us to call the same place home.

She's really helped me become a better person. Little things go a long way. Kyo is a very loving person. She doesn't express it in the same ways I do, but she makes it known how much you mean to her.

I've realized how important communication is. If something bothered me, I used to just say nothing and hoped it would go away or stop bothering me, but I learned that's not the best way to deal with that. You need to have hard conversations sometimes, and that's okay. Kyo and I are good for each other in that sense. We support each other's flaws.

Being best friends in high school really helped us get familiar with each other's personalities, especially with attachment styles and ways of expressing ourselves. I can confidently say that I know her better than anyone else.

____________

"So you'd really be okay with me moving in?"

"Of course! I'd love to live with you."

"Mina and I were talking, and it seems like she really wants to go through with this. I'll move in with you, and Kirishima will move in with her."

"That works. Now I'll get you all to myself." I tease.

She laughs, "Just don't get tired of me."

I scoff, "I could never."

She continues to smile to herself, "I didn't think we'd be living together so soon."

"I know. Me neither. It's like a dream come true."

"You really wouldn't mind sharing your space with me? What about all my music stuff?"

"You can bring it. I have a bunch of space I'm not using."

I'm trying to get her to understand that if she moves in with me, it's not just my place anymore. It'll be our place. I want her to feel at home and settle in.

I know it'll take some time, but I think this is going to be fun.