Chapter 22

Becky offered to give me a lift home after the meeting with my professor. It turned out she hadn't planned to attend, but the professor insisted because she wasn't paying attention.

"What's your poem about?" I inquired as she parked near my house.

"You," she casually replied, undoing her seatbelt and helping me with mine. "I wrote about trying to forget someone who means the world to me. But you know what Taylor Swift says? Trying to forget someone is futile because you'll never truly forget them."

"Thanks for the ride," I expressed gratitude, to which she simply nodded before reclining in her seat.

"Don't worry, I won't join the competition," Becky assured me. "I won't make things difficult for you, Freen. Being acquaintances is fine by me."

"Come on, Bec," I urged as I opened the car door. "Let's write poems about each other."

Becky avoided my gaze and gestured for me to close the door, which I did. It dawned on me what Mew had been trying to convey. I had pushed Becky too hard, and now she was hesitant to get close again, fearing I'd do the same. But what choice did I have? Wasn't I afraid of getting hurt too?

"Freen!" Mew interrupted my thoughts. "What are you still doing here? Aren't you coming in?" He led me inside.

Inside, I spotted Bright chatting amiably with Mile. Becky's name came up, and they seemed engrossed in conversation about her.

"Where have you been?" Mile inquired, motioning for me to join them. "Bright mentioned you were summoned to a professor's office?"

"Yeah, she invited me to join the competition. Becky gave me a lift home," I explained as I took a seat.

"Where is she?" Bright stood abruptly, but Mew stopped him from leaving. "What's up?"

"We'll talk about this later," Mew's voice was stern, sending shivers down my spine. Nevertheless, Bright sighed and settled back down. "Right now!" Mew insisted.

"What's going on?" Bright asked.

"Why did you leave your sister at school?" Mew demanded. "You knew she was at the office, yet you left her there and came home?"

"No reason," Bright mumbled, avoiding my gaze. What had gotten into him?

"Tell me!" Mew's voice rose again. "This isn't like you, Bright. Why did you abandon her?"

Bright let out a sigh. "Because Becky said she'd take Freen home."

Silence fell over the room. Mew let out a harsh breath.

"Both of you, go upstairs and talk. Make sure everything's okay after your conversation," Mile intervened.

Bright and I rose and made our way to his room. I followed, knowing that if I didn't, nothing would change. Bright might be angry with me, but I couldn't fathom why. He'd told me to stay away from Becky, yet here he was, spending time with her. I should be the one who's angry, right?

"What's going on?" he asked, closing the door behind us.

"Why the sudden change in mood?" I inquired, perching on the edge of his bed while he remained standing.

"We were just chatting about Becky's antics. I didn't know Mile had met her before, so I was happy. Then I heard she'd given you a lift home," he explained.

"And?" I raised an eyebrow. "How does that explain your mood?"

Bright fell silent, then joined me on the bed. "Becky likes you. She kept mentioning you during our conversation," he confessed, looking at me. "How do you manage to be so nonchalant while having someone head over heels for you?"

"You're speaking like no one's ever been head over heels for you," I remarked.

"But this is different, Freen. This is the first time I've felt this way about someone. The first time I've felt anything like this," Bright admitted. "Yet she likes my sister. And I know I can't compete with her, even if you don't like her." He sighed and rested his head on my shoulder. "Sorry, sis, for being immature earlier."

"Billy mentioned you like her. I don't care if she dates you or vice versa. It's not my concern," I stated, biting my lower lip. "I just don't understand why you told me to stay away from her when you can't do it yourself."

"That was before, Freen. I thought she was just a heartbreaker, someone who liked to brag," Bright confessed. "But she's different. She's kind-hearted and genuine. Her cheerfulness brightens my day. Every time I see her during practice, I can't help but admire her. She's one of a kind. The kind of girl I want to keep."

"Then keep her," I urged, standing up and sighing as I looked at him. "I don't appreciate being treated indifferently just because you're jealous. Becky is a good woman. Show her you truly care, and she'll fall for you eventually."

"You really don't like her?" Bright questioned. "Give me an honest answer. No denial. How do you feel about her?"

"I'm a woman, Bright. She's a woman. My feelings don't matter," I replied, trying to skirt the question, but Bright held onto my arms, his eyes searching mine.

"Yes or no," he insisted, making me choose.

"I do, Bright. I like her. Are you satisfied?" I asked.

Bright released my arms and nodded. "Okay, then I guess I've lost this battle."

"We're not competing, Bright. I won't pursue her, even if she likes me or I like her. But you, you can," I assured him, swallowing the lump in my throat.

Bright smiled and tousled my hair gently. "I was just messing with you!" he laughed, pinching my cheeks. "Gotcha, Mew! I got her!" he announced, opening the door and calling out to our other brothers.

What the hell? Had he been toying with me?