Chapter 41

I've never been in this dilemma in my entire life. I couldn't think of any way to watch Becky practicing while also looking after my brother. While I was out here watching football, he was suffering.

"Aren't you going to watch the practice?" Billy asked when he saw me organizing my bag after a quick meeting with the committee. "Also, have you talked to Becky? What did she say?"

"She said she'll think about it," I sighed. "Can't you talk to your cousin? I'm sure she'll agree with you with no questions asked."

"You think Becky is easy to persuade?" Billy asked and chuckled. He leaned on the couch and shook his head. "When Becky sulks, it's so hard to coax her. Do you get my point?"

I sighed and sat on the swivel chair and looked at the clock. Faye didn't open her café today so I guessed she was at the hospital. Perhaps I could just go there later. I needed to talk to Becky first.

"Tell me, Freen. What's really bothering you? Can I help?" he asked. "Aside from your breakup with Becky and her impending departure after this semester."

My eyes widened. "What do you mean by leaving this semester?" My heart pounded. I knew she would eventually leave, but I didn't think it was too soon. What did he mean after this semester? That was only two months away.

"I thought Becky told you?" He sat properly and furrowed his brows. "There was a scholarship offer from the US. After studying there, she could go pro. Imagine, Becky playing for a national team. I didn't think it would be possible." Billy clicked his tongue, showing so much pride for Becky.

I was glad too, but I couldn't shake the thought that Becky wouldn't leave because of her parents. She would leave to chase her dream. I should've just stayed with her until then. If only I knew.

"I'll watch the practice, don't you want to come with me?" I asked my best friend, and he furrowed his brows at me.

"All of a sudden?"

"I gotta go," I grabbed my bag and went to the field.

As usual, there were lots of students clamoring and cheering for her. She was playing with a blank expression and she didn't smile at those people who cheered for her unlike before. She wasn't selfish at the game, but she couldn't look at the crowd.

"Go Becky!" I shouted, causing her to look at me. I thought I could help her ease her mood, but she only looked at me and resumed playing.

However, I remained smiling. She changed so much. Perhaps it was because of me. Maybe I changed her that much. I continued watching her until the first half of their game. Many girls offered her a drink, but she refused all of them. She brought a tumbler. I realized I hadn't bought her one before. I always forget. I didn't realize during our relationship that Becky was the only one putting in effort, and I was just taking advantage of her. I wish I could go back in time. I wish I could take care of her.

"Becky!" Billy rushed towards Becky and handed her the water. He whispered something to her that made her choke and rolled her eyes.

"I told you to stop introducing me to your classmates. I'm only a freshman. You're a senior." She rolled her eyes once again, and our eyes met. It was a brief moment, but I could feel the mood change. It was as if she was glad that I was here and my presence wasn't a distraction at all.

Two months. That was so fast. However, I would do everything to make her stay. I knew this was a selfish act of mine, but Becky could pull off any scholarship in this country. She could go pro while staying in this country. If only she had a reason to stay. I would give her a reason to stay.

After the game, the crowd dispersed. Becky sat on the bench as her teammates excused themselves and told her they were going home. Becky leaned back against the bench and closed her eyes to nap for a while.

I didn't know I would be one of those people watching her sleep like this. It was so painful that I could only watch her from afar, unlike before when she allowed me closer. She would let me touch her face and gaze at her for a while. I miss those times.

"Aren't you going home?" Becky asked.

I looked around to see if she was asking for someone, but no one in the field was around aside from the two of us.

"Me?" I asked and pointed at myself.

Becky sat properly and looked at me with dead eyes. "Who do you think I am talking about?"

"I'm sorry," I said.

"Why are you here anyway?" she asked.

I wanted to see you. I wanted to ask if you can stay. I wanted to voice out those thoughts but I couldn't. How could I say those after hurting her that much?

"I'm here to ask if you already think about the Basketball event." I bit my lower lip.

"Ah," Becky muttered. "I will go. If I finished all my projects."

"Do you want me to help you with those?" I asked. I was taken aback by how aggressive my approach was. Did I startle her?

"I'm fine, Freen." She stood up and carried her duffle bag. "Don't worry, I'll try to finish them right away so that I can join basketball." She patted my shoulder and walked past me.

I could feel the distance between us. The gap I couldn't bridge anymore, no matter what I tried. However, I wouldn't stop, Becky. I would stop you from leaving me.

---
Please wait for the updates and stop messaging me when will Freen chase Becky. I have a plot outline that I need to follow. Please be patient because I'm losing mine.
- vivaciousgeek