Chapter 18

Shitty but hey update. LAST CHAPTER Sorry it took a while I blame Teenforlife she should ban me from all her fics

Chapter 18

-

 RECAP

 "Has....um....has what's happened changed anything?" Zayn asked, hesitantly.

Niall furrowed his eyebrow, confused. "What do you mean?"

"Well...I mean, if it hasn't been obvious, I like you, Niall. And-"

"I like you, too."

~

"But do you really? I mean, all this shit happened and maybe you just like me because I was there," Zayn explained.

"Zayn, Harry was there. So, was Liam. And I don't like them the way I like you. And anyway, I liked you before any of this happened."

"Really? Like you properly like me? Not just as a friend?" Zayn asked.

"Of course, Zayn. I'm not stupid," Niall laughed.

Zayn huffed out a laugh in disbelief. This was so incredibly stupid. "God, we're idiots."

"I know. But we can be idiots together," Niall flicked Zayn on the forehead.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'd like that a lot."

~

On the day of the trial, the skies were gray and cloudy and the winds were strong and chilly. The weather report had said there would be chances of seeing their first snow of the year.

Christmas was a few weeks away and Niall was actually looking forward to it this year. Christmas with Zayn and the best friends he could ever ask for. (Louis would be flying in soon.)

So, everything was going pretty great for Niall. This was the last thing, and then he could leave all of this behind him.

His lawyer was pretty glad to have an easy case before the holidays; all the evidence was there and even Zayn's mum had voiced her suspicions, so the case was pretty open and shut.

But, Niall still had to go up there and tell a room full of strangers about what had happened, about what Steve had done to him, and that was pretty terrifying. They could easily judge him, and he wasn't there to be judged.

He was there for justice.

He hadn't let anyone go with him, not even Zayn or Greg. Sure the support would have been nice, but Niall would rather that they didn't know everything. And anyway, this was something he needed to do by himself. Greg's break was up anyway, so he was back in uni. He promised to visit when he had time though, so Niall was fine.

He was only testifying against Steve. Apparently, Josh had been admitted into a mental hospital when he tried to stab the doctor with a needle. Niall could just imagine him in a straight jacket, talking to himself. It was sort of funny.

"Do you swear to speak the truth and nothing but the truth?" A man held a Bible in front of him for Niall to swear on. Niall wasn't religious, he stopped believing in God a long time ago, but he swore anyway.

"Mr. Horan, your mother passed away Christmas day, yes?" Steve's defendant asked him.

"Yeah," Niall wasn't sure why he even needed to ask these questions, they had his file. Why couldn't they just get to the point so he could go home.

"And Steve was left as your guardian, correct?"

"Yes," Niall tried not to groan.

"And he provided you with food and shelter, didn't he?"