Chapter 19

It is the morning of the big black-tie event. Jan Smuts Street is bustling with minibusses and cars full of passengers attending Nicole and Owen's celebration party. It is not long before the parking lot next to the Zip Zap Dome is filled with rows of cars. Security personnel guard the entrance to the dome, inspecting tickets, giving preference to the elderly, and doing the odd sobriety test. An unfortunate few are turned away because they did not wear the proper attire. All the guests are already present by the time Nicole and Owen arrive. Nicole and Owen get out of the car and make their way to the dome's entrance. Owen notices Jeremy standing among the security guards.

"Hi Jeremy," Owen says. "I see you're already on your first assignment."

Jeremy gives a broken smile and nods his head.

Owen points to Nicole and says, "This is my wife, Nicole."

Nicole extends her hand towards Jeremy. "Hi, Jeremy. Pleased to meet you."

Jeremy gently shakes Nicole's hand. "Pleased to meet you."

"How are you feeling?" Owen asks Jeremy.

"I do not feel much," Jeremy says.

Owen bursts out laughing, "That's a good one." When he sees Jeremy standing there expressionless, he abruptly stops laughing. "Oh, that wasn't a joke. Nice seeing you all the same."

He pats Jeremy on the shoulder and gestures for Nicole to enter the dome grounds. Nicole and Owen enter the dome through the backstage area and walk onto the stage. A live band performs Eighties and Nineties hits to a lively crowd in the jam-packed dome. People are seated at rows of tables, each decorated with white tablecloths and gleaming golden cutlery, with the elderly seated at the forefront of the stage. Champagne glasses glisten in the soft lighting, and fresh flowers add vibrant color and beauty to the scene. A team of caterers moves through the tables, attending to the guests' every culinary desire. Owen signals to the band to stop playing and takes his position behind the microphone, with Nicole by his side. He taps the microphone to test if it's on, and muffled thuds reverberate throughout the dome.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen," he says. "May I please have your attention?" The loud chatter gradually subsides until it's quiet enough for Owen to speak.

"Thank you for joining Nicole and me in celebrating our wedding anniversary, marking this joyous occasion with us. I know it wasn't without sacrifice. Many of you had already made plans for the Christmas holidays, and yet you made the effort to be here today." He pauses for a moment. "This year, we've invited some less fortunate and elderly guests. So, please allow me to make a quick announcement before we continue."

Owen shields his eyes from the sharp spotlights and surveys the crowd. "Is ticket number 309 present here today? Please raise your hand if you are."

A woman at the back raises her hand.

"Maggie, is it?" Owen inquires.

"Yes!" she responds.

"Well, Maggie, because you made the wisest choices in spending your money to be here today, I have a job offer for you at the Able Foundation, working in our charity department. If you're interested, please see Sandy at our makeshift office backstage."

Maggie lets out screams of joy and says something, but Owen can't hear her from that distance.

"Could someone please provide Maggie with a microphone?" he requests.

One of the usher's approaches Maggie and hands her a microphone.

"Do I go right now?" Maggie asks, speaking over the microphone.