Chapter 1 - The Invite

March 2nd, 2024

'And the Aston of Yu takes P5, putting the McLaren of Piastri into his sights! The 21-year-old Korean driver is now putting pressure on the 23-year-old Aussie driver!

The sound of the F1 broadcast from Hanni's iPad grabbed the interest of Danielle, who was in the kitchen looking for a snack.

Hands holding a packet of crisps, she made her way to where the Vietnamese member sat, eyes transfixed on her iPad, clad in an orange and black t-shirt with the number '81' stitched onto the back.

"Is Formula One that interesting? When the same person wins every single race?" Danielle asks as she sits down next to Hanni, opening the packet of crisps and offering it to her.

"I'm watching to support my best friend from Australia! After you!" Hanni quickly corrected, after noticing Danielle's playful pout from next to her.

"You know someone from Formula One?" Danielle asks in disbelief, as on the screen, the green Aston Martin overtaking the Orange McLaren, and was now chasing after a red Ferrari.

"Yeah! He and I used to be neighbors! I'm wearing a t-shirt with his number right now!"

"81? What's his name?"

"His name is Oscar Piastri! He races for McLaren! The orange and black cars!"

'And Yu's Aston overtakes Sainz's Ferrari!' The young Korean is set to take his first podium of the 2024 season!'

The two girls remained silent for a while, watching the rest of the race, as (unsurprisingly), the two Red Bulls scored a one-two finish, with one of the Aston Martin's scoring third place.

"You know what?" Hanni suddenly brought up, "Oscar sent me 2 paddock passes for the upcoming Korean Grand Prix! Why don't you come with me to the race! I can introduce my best friend in Korea to my best friend in Australia!"

"Are you sure? I thought you said something about going with Minji unnie to the race?" Danielle asked, her expression one of confusion.

"Nah, don't worry," Hanni waved her hand, swatting away some imaginative thought, "She pretends to put up with my rant about Formula One, she doesn't like the loud sounds of the cars anyways."

"Sure, I can't say I'm not uninterested, let's see how it goes then." Danielle said, getting up from her seat on the couch.

"I'll see you in a bit, I'll be in my room playing my guitar!" she said, with Hanni making a noise of acknowledgment, as she continued to have her eyes glued to her iPad.

As soon as Danielle made her way back to her room, she grabbed her laptop, and instead of playing her guitar, she started to look up Formula One.

~~~~~

~~~~~

(following dialogue is in Korean)

"Hey Y/N," Karina's voice came through the screen as Y/N sat on the private plane from Bahrain to Incheon, "I wanna congratulate you on your third place win!"

"Thanks noona!" Y/N replied, shifting in his seat, finding his headphones, and plugging it into his phone. "Isn't it like 3 am in Seoul right now? Why aren't you sleeping?"

"You know why... the same reason as to why our entire family doesn't sleep whenever you race...you chose one of the most dangerous professions in the world..."

"The sport is a lot safer nowadays, I'm fine noona!"

"Moving on...are you going to stay at home with our parents and Jihye unnie while you're here in Korea?"

"Maybe for the first few days before free practice, the race is in Yeongnam after all," Y/N shrugged, "I'll go visit them first, and then I'll drop by SM Entertainment to drop off the paddock passes for you and your members, before I drive off to Yeongnam. I'll stay with the team during free practice and the race weekend."

"Oh yeah, I got a few friends that wanna meet you if you have some time!" Karina said, clapping her hands together, excitedly.

Knowing what she meant, Y/N groaned.

"Noona, I told you and Jihye noona before, I don't want to go on any blind dates... I wanna focus on my career first!"

"It wouldn't hurt you to try a bit right? Put yourself out there-"

"No means 'no', noona, please?" Y/N asked, in a tone that made it clear that the topic had ended.

"Ok Y/N, I'll go take a nap before I go to practice, have a safe flight, okay? Let us know when you land in Incheon?"

"I'm already in the air, but thanks, I'll text the family groupchat when I land."

"Good night Y/N!"

"Good night noona!"

Y/N chuckled to himself as he made himself more comfortable, taking off his headphones, and listening to the sound of the jet's engines and Lance's snoring from the seat across from him. Closing his eyes, he soon fell asleep after a bit of turning in his seat, looking forward to seeing his family when he landed in Korea.

~~~

A/N: Here it is! Chapter 1 of my story, laying down the groundwork for this new story! F1 returning to Korea!