Ch. 2 The hungry Lion

Author's POV

"Lekin us ladki ke nahi. Use chune wale gande haathon ke, us par uthne vali gandi nazron ke, uske khilaaf bura bolne wali zabaan ke."

( But not of that girl. Of the dirty hands that touched her, of the dirty eyes that fell on her, of the tongues that spoke ill of her. )

An eerie silence spread around the surroundings when Adhiraaj swiftly changed his words.

"Anath hai bechari. Aur anath ladkiyan bin mali ke us phool ki tarah hoti hai jinhe koi bhi raahchalta insaan tod sakta hai. Kyun Pujari Ji...... Sahi kaha na maine?"

( Poor girl is an orphan. And orphan girls are like flowers without a gardener, which can be plucked by any passerby. Am I right head priest? )

His fierce eyes were more vocal than his words, which made the head priest feel conflicted about his actual personality. Seconds ago, he was a thirsty beast asking for blood. And now....... The most compassionate person he ever met.

"Asha karta hun, ki iske baad main apki jeevan dayani ke rin se mukt ho jaunga. Pranaam !!" He joined his palms together and took his leave from there with his troop following him from behind.

( I hope that after this I will be free from the debt of your life giver. Greetings !! )

 Greetings !! )

On the other side, Rudhvika was walking on the sides of the road when her phone resting inside her Kurti's pocket vibrated. She took it out, only to see a message from Piyali who asked her to reach the orphanage directly because she already took the responsibility of taking Prasad there through her second hand scooty which Rudhvika prepares for the kids every year.

Even though the pay scale of Piyali's job was nice, she always spent money skeptically because like other girls of her workplace, she didn't had any shield standing behind her for her tough times. And it was quite opposite from her carefree character.

The car honks and vehicles speeding sounds brought Rudhvika out from her phone and she looked around to see that the signal was going to turn green soon. So she slid her phone back in her pocket and waited beside the zebra crossing for the busy road to get silent. And when it did, she stepped forward to cross the road.

While doing so, her eyes fell on an old lady coming from the opposite side. Her steps were staggering so Rudhvika accelerated her pace in order to help her but before she could reach her, the old lady fell down collapsing on the road as a speeding car hit her from the side.

Crowd gathered around the lady and a few people started banging the car windows for the driver to come out. Rudhvika sat beside the old lady keeping her prayer plate aside and started looking out for injuries on her wrinkled arms and legs. Thankfully there were none, apart from a few scratches here and there.