Blanket

I scream in the darkness of the night with no echo left behind. I've found myself in solitude, where my thoughts can only be free while I am trapped like a caged animal. The fear of my fate has begun to set in and pour out of my eyes. I find that a swamp with hungry alligators surrounds my bed. Their cries for me shiver through my body on such a level that my bones ache. I reach for my blanket and hide underneath. They all want something different out of me... but why?

Bite by bite, I'm less of who I was yesterday.

I feel something bump against my bed. A young man in a small boat is at my bedside. His dark green raincoat matches his eyes perfectly. With a smile, he extends his large, still, hand out to me, and I climb aboard, leaving my blanket behind.

He looks at me and asks, "What is a beautiful girl like you doing around here? I've never seen someone like you".

I look at him with confusion. I shake my head, "I don't understand what you mean. I could ask you the same question."

"Look at you with your pink nightgown and long blonde hair. You even have a matching bow in your hair. You're too precious to be in such a dark place like this," he smirks.

Slowly, the water becomes a peaceful river with swans and their young. We cross the river into a small, thin stream. The beasts once thought to be alligators become the waves that help move the boat along.

I am perplexed. "Woah, how did you do that?".

He says, puzzled, "It's been like this the entire time. What do you mean?"

The trust I had in him slowly began to fade. Something wasn't right anymore. The young man grabbed my arm very hard. I met him eye to eye.

With a firm yet soft voice, he whispers the words that will forever be in my mind: "Why do you have to be that way? We could have been happy if you hadn't asked so many questions." On the last word, he pushes me over the side.

I thought you were going to be my hero. But you just led me through tears to a stream of blunder dreams, leaving me further strayed than before.

I scream in the darkness of the night with no echo left behind. A swarm of hungry people surrounds my bed. When I try to reach for my blanket, it is no longer on my bed. I pause and look around me; I find it resting in someone's arms.

Bite by bite, I'm less of who I was yesterday. I am lost but not forgotten.

I close my eyes to try and escape, but the feeling of his hand grabbing me will not go away. Some could say it's a fantasy and a dream come true to have a strong man come and save you. I'm in a nightmare and don't know how to wake up. My dream isn't to have a man save me. My dream is to be able to save myself from my problems. But I guess that's just another blunder dream.