Chapter 11

When the trip was almost at its close, it started to pour without end, raining non-stop for four consecutive days, and the sky was so overcast that not a sliver of light was able to penetrate the heavy dark clouds.

The hospital was almost done with the patient consultations and surgeries, lightening the doctors’ workload significantly. However, this was only true in the beginning few days. Due to the large number of surgeries, the post-operative care and follow-ups with patients still kept them constantly busy.

Tao Xiaodong was supposed to leave beforehand. He still had two other places he wanted to drop by and didn’t plan to return that early. But the bad weather grounded the planes at the airport here. Resultantly, Tao Xiaodong could only change his plans and wait to return with the doctors.

Tang Suoyan had his hands full with visits to a few city hospitals in the vicinity during the last few days of the journey, conducting lectures and providing guidance. Tao Xiaodong hadn’t seen much of him after that night.

Once the rain stopped and planes were cleared for take-off, everyone immediately started preparing for the return journey.

The two of them were seated together on the flight back.

Tang Suoyan was seated on the inside. Tao Xiaodong was next to him, with another doctor on his other side as well. As Tao Xiaodong was in the middle of the row, he didn’t rest his elbows on the armrest on either side. After sitting for a while, he jogged his shoulders. After a while more, he fidgeted again.

Tang Suoyan suddenly chuckled from the side, inquiring, “Director Tao, it’s been quite some time since you last flew in economy class, right?”

That was a small running joke Tang Suoyan had with him, calling him ‘Director Tao’ on purpose. Tao Xiaodong played along with it. “I’d sack my secretary on the spot if she dares to book me economy class.”

The doctors on both sides of him laughed. The one that he was less familiar with, Dr. Chen, said, “Thank you for your sacrifices, Director Tao.”

After joshing around, Tao Xiaodong said, “What Director Tao this and that? It’s all in good fun; I don’t have an secretary, either. Apart from long-distance international flights that go over ten hours, I generally buy economy. It’s too expensive otherwise. They’re all about the same anyway.”

“Are you really short on that little bit of cash?” The young Dr. Chen by his side appeared to be quite chatty, speaking without airs and warming up quickly to people.

“How can I not be? Name me one person who isn’t short on money.” Tao Xiaodong rubbed the back of his head, smiling. “Dr. Chen, you have no idea what my reputation is like out there. Everyone who knows me says that I’m a scoorge.”

When Tao Xiaodong was in the mood, he could make people completely at ease chatting with him, without sparking any annoyance. He had a good grasp of the subtleties of conversation, and was constantly well-aware of what to say and what not to say.

This four-hour flight, with everyone sitting together in one place, was a rare opportunity for idle chatter. Those who didn’t chat went to sleep.

It wasn’t long before Dr. Chen was fast asleep with both hands resting on his legs, not taking up much space. Only then did Tao Xiaodong perch his arm on the armrest that side.

Tang Suoyan and Tao Xiaodong engaged in quiet conversation for the remaining duration. As their professions and lifestyles had little in common, they naturally talked about their mutual friends. For example, Tao Huainan, Tian Yi, and the patient, Mei Duo.

And, for example, Tong Ning.

Tang Suoyan’s eyebrows raised marginally in surprise when Tao Xiaodong brought up Tong Ning.