Chapter 12

“I’m wiped, why must I still have dinner with you?” Tao Xiaodong said to Xia Yuan over the phone. “Go have it yourself.”

“Can’t you see that I miss you?” Xia Yuan cackled. “So, are you back yet?”

“I’m back but I can’t today, maybe next time.” Tao Xiaodong always had his brother on the forefront of his mind when returning from a trip and would normally head straight home after touching down.

Xia Yuan said sure, let’s go out for drinks another day.

Da Huang initially wanted to fetch Tao Xiaodong then pick up those two kids and head over to his, but this plan was waylaid by Tao Huainan, who told them that dinner was already being prepared. As such, Tao Xiaodong went back directly.

When he opened the door, Tao Huainan was waiting on the little stool by the entrance, listening to something on earphones.

The moment Tao Xiaodong came in, the boy took off his earphones, calling, “Ge.”

“Why are you sitting here?” Tao Xiaodong patted the crown of his head.

“Waiting for you, why else?” Tao Huainan smiled at him and stood up. “Ku ge‘s ignoring me.”

“What is it this time?” Tao Xiaodong changed out of his shoes. “Did you tick him off again?”

Tao Huainan said from behind, “‘Course not.”

The aroma of food spread across the house. Chi Cheng was stewing soup in the kitchen. When he saw that Tao Xiaodong was back, he turned his head, greeting, “Ge.”

Tao Xiaodong greeted him back then went into his room to wash up and change into a fresh set of clothes. Tao Huainan followed behind him, waiting on his bed.

Tao Xiaodong glanced at him but didn’t ask, undressing and going to take a shower.

Still and quiet, Tao Huainan laid down on his older brother’s bed.

These children had reached the age where they’d be bogged down by their thoughts. Tao Xiaodong didn’t want to get into it.

However, the row between the duo lasted rather long this time. They were still awkward in each other’s presence even three days later.

He pulled them aside separately, but neither divulged anything much.

In the studio, Tao Xiaodong asked Huan Ge, “What’s in the heads of big boys like you?”

Thrown by his question, Huan Ge turned to look blankly at him. “How am I big?”

A tattoo artist by the side guffawed, piping up, “Is Huan Ge big? I glimpsed it by chance the last time we went to the sauna, but I didn’t get a good look at how big he was.”

At this, Huan Ge’s whole face flushed red. He yelled, indignant and embarrassed, “Hey!”

Tao Xiaodong chuckled, and the several people around them also snickered softly.

“You’re so annoying.” Huan Ge had thin skin and stood up to leave. He snapped at the tattoo artist who spoke, “Grow up.”

Tao Xiaodong levelled him a look for him to sit back down, then said, “What I mean is, boys your age. What do you worry about?”

“I don’t have much to worry about.” Huan Ge even laughed as he spoke of this. “I used to worry about my future and had a bit of low self-esteem. But now I’m happy every day.”

Huan Ge was a good child. He did have a disposition that was constantly bright and cheery, while also being driven and thoughtful. Tao Xiaodong smiled, nodding. “That’s good, it’s good to be happy.”