Chapter 14

It was a weekend the next day. Neither of them had to go to work, which was why Tong Ning would let loose with his drinking. They each occupied a room, were each behind closed doors, and when Tang Suoyan awoke, Tong Ning had yet to rise.

The balcony, fully equipped with fitness equipment, also doubled as a gym. To doctors, working out wasn’t only about looking good but primarily to fortify their physical constitution. It was almost noon by the time Tang Suoyan was done exercising, but Tong Ning still hadn’t come out.

Tao Xiaodong sent a message over, providing him an address, quickly followed by a voice message: “Dr. Tang, your place happens to be along the way. Why don’t I pick you up; you don’t have to drive.”

Tang Suoyan responded to him: “Sure, just let me know when you reach.”

Before he left, he placed the box he had packed for Tong Ning at the door, leaving a piece of paper on top. His strokes were bold and vigorous. Tong Ning had complimented his handwriting on numerous occasions. He had written many things for Tong Ning with this handwriting in the past, also helping him copy notes before.

In the present, Tang Suoyan only wrote to him two short sentences on the paper

-I’m sorry that it didn’t work out between us.

-Go set forth on your new life.

On this day, Tao Xiaodong took the rare effort of tidying himself up, doing away with the sweatshirt and jeans he usually wore, fishing a dress shirt out of the wardrobe instead. He’d even shaved his stubble. The five o’clock shadow was intentionally trimmed and kept in the past; the young ones at the studio said that it was trendy nowadays, affecting on him a roguish flair. Now, clean-shaven and in a black shirt, this new style was like a breath of fresh air, making him look quite dashing.

He messaged Tang Suoyan when he reached the gates to the community, and Tang Suoyan came down soon after.

When Tang Suoyan got into the car, they exchanged greetings.

They were going to a speakeasy-style restaurant run by Tao Xiaodong’s friend. This friend was a food connoisseur with a knack for cooking, putting his soul into the food he made.

They chatted idly on the way there. Tang Suoyan didn’t talk much; most of the air time went to Tao Xiaodong. He talked about the kids in his parlour, and even said that Tao Huainan had gone green with envy after learning that his brother was about to have lunch with Tang Suoyan. While Tang Suoyan wasn’t chatty, he wasn’t a brick wall either. Tang Suoyan’s occasional quips would spark laughter from Tao Xiaodong.

They took a long time to find a free lot at the car park. As Tao Xiaodong reversed the car in, he asked, “Do you have anything you don’t eat?”

Tang Suoyan said, “I don’t eat ginger.”

While Tao Xiaodong didn’t freeze up, he glanced at Tang Suoyan askance.

It was just a casual question out of courtesy when eating with others—he didn’t expect Tang Suoyan to actually give an answer. During the few times that they shared a meal in Tibet, he didn’t notice the other to be much of a picky eater, so he had assumed that Tang Suoyan would surely deny having any dietary restrictions.

Once the car was parked, Tao Xiaodong couldn’t help but break into laughter, and Tang Suoyan as well. The reason behind it was understood between each other, implicitly understood without the need for words.

The restaurant had a nice ambience. There was a waiter that guided them to their seats through the corridors and courtyard. It prided itself on creating a private space. The route to each room was different; if you didn’t want to see anyone, you wouldn’t see a soul from the time you entered to the time you left.