Chapter 13

It was impossible to say if Tong Ning was cruel or not cruel enough.

Cruel, because he had been tempted to break it off time and time again, but was ultimately unable to let go, turning back in the end. Yet also not, because he could turn heel and leave after Tang Suoyan had given him that ultimatum; he didn’t call or text after that, thoroughly severing all contact.

When Xia Yuan next encountered him at a bar, the other’s mood was so poor that he could see it from miles away.

Tong Ning wasn’t an alcoholic, yet he’d drunk heavily on both occasions. Sighing, Xia Yuan covered his glass and asked him what happened. While Tong Ning when wasted wasn’t as untouchable as he usually appeared to be, he didn’t quite open up to others either. Even so, compared to the apathetic veneer he typically put on, being drunk would at least loosen the words “sorry Yan ge” from his tongue.

Well, Xia Yuan could certainly tell that there was a story there, but he wasn’t going to dig into it. Adults shouldn’t snoop around other’s relationship affairs—it’s none of their concern; don’t be nosy.

“If you feel sorry, then just apologise. What’s the point in drinking?” Xia Yuan didn’t let him continue. It was frightening to watch people who didn’t usually indulge in alcohol down their liquor like this.

Tong Ning shook his head. Sober or drunk, he knew that apologies were worthless.

“Psh, what’s there that can’t be worked out? Don’t be so pessimistic.” At the end of the day, Xia Yuan was two years older than him. He was also broad-minded and had a more liberal outlook on many issues. “It’s easy to see the light if you stop overanalysing it. Why make life hard on yourself?”

Tong Ning listened attentively to every word but shook his head all the same.

“You’re both reasonable people; if you’ve come to heads, then just have a talk and talk things out. Don’t just brood over drinks alone,” Xia Yuan told him.

Tong Ning had a lean figure and a sharp chin, still with the same dash of pride that drew people to him. He slumped down on the bar counter, and when he got back up, he pointed at his heart. He said that it choked him up no matter what he did; he said that he had treated so many hearts, yet the only one he couldn’t treat was his own.

Xia Yuan chuckled, patiently comforting him, “What’s there to treat? It isn’t as if you’re sick.”

Yet, Tong Ning nodded in a frenzy. He pointed at his heart. “I am. I’m sick in here.”

Xia Yuan sent the other back and left immediately without stepping into his place or showing any untoward behaviour. As he went downstairs, he’d even thought, See how polite I am?

This was the underclassman that he had spent many a year pining over, the one that got away. But now, he was able to patiently console and send the other home after drinks without even going in. His intentions were upstanding and aboveboard. Recounting this incident made him feel pure in heart, and he blew praises of himself when out with his friends.

“You really have no sense of shame,” Tian Yi critiqued Xia Yuan as they ate. “It’s just chatting a bit when you see someone you know; look at how much your head is swelling over something this small.”

Others at the table laughed. Xia Yuan clicked his tongue. “What’s wrong with that? I didn’t try anything fishy at all. I didn’t seize the chance to sow discord even at a time like this. Ain’t it commendable?”

Tao Xiaodong picked up after him, “Uh-huh, very commendable.”

“Right?” Xia Yuan was smug. “Actually, since they broke up, I…”