Marriage?!! Ch.17

"MAXIMILIAN, COME HERE AT ONCE,"Duke croyso shouted.

His voice echoed down the hallway l, sending a chill down Maxi's spine. Her stomach twisted and her throat seemed to be dry.

She walked towards the Duke's study with trembling steps one by one, trying not to trip over her own shoe.

"y- y- yes, f- father" her voice shaky as glanced up to see her father's back facing her.

"you stuttering rat, YOU'RE BETTER OFF MARRIED TO THAT LITTLE BASTARD BOY," he shouted again making Maxi weak.

"m- m- m- marriage?!!" she mumbled, frozen in shock of the words he'd thrown in the air.

Those words cruel but they seemed to linger in the air. It shot her in the heart and her eyes watered.

'I must not let them fall'

She tried to blink away her tears without the falling onto her cheeks.

"He probably won't make it out alive anyway, so you have no need to get to know him," He mumbled making a sharp and quick turn to face Maxi.

Her shoulders drooped as his gaze weighed her down.

"m- make it o- out of w- w- what?" she asked still frozen in fear as she heard his footsteps coming towards her.

He halted as soon as he reached Maxi's side and whispered.

"The Dragon Campaign. I offered him your hand in marriage if he'd slay the dragon and come out alive and victorious."

He left with his usual cold stony face.

"D- Dragon?" she mumbled as chewed on her nail, a habit she had thought to overcome.