Chapter 1:

KIlljoy cursed and pushed back her chair for the 5th time that night. ever since the Venice incident, as Brimstone dubs it, all pressure was on Killjoy to make a working defuser before another incident like that can happen again. its been three days and dispite the Genius's knowledge, she had yet to even make a prototype that would work how it was intended. Killjoy groaned softly, covering her face with her hands as she tried to stop the annoyed tears already forming. the waves and voices of failure echoed through her head and she let it. 

the tears started falling and at that moment she let them, turning her back to the door and pulling her beanie down to cover her face as soft whimpers and cries escaped her lips, coinciding with soft gasp between. the sudden woosh of the door opening had her tensing, and fighting the tears to stop before whoever walked in called her weak. "Kid? what are you still doing up?" the calming voice of Brimstone broke the slence, and she hiccuped softly. she could hear his footsteps come closer before the finally stopped right beside her. she turned her head to the left as he crouched down to look at her face. "Klara.. why are you still up? whats wrong?"

Killjoy just sniffled once and moved her beanie enough to swipe at her eyes before she looked at Brimstone. her smile clearly faked. "no-nothings wrong Brim, just doing some late night tinkering, cant shut this brain down sometimes haha." she watched Brimston frown gently. he placed a soft hand on her leg, adding comfort that almost broke killjoys fake facade. "Kid, is this becuase of the deffuser?" Killjoy scoffed softly and shook her head. "oc course not Brim, i told you i can deal with it and i can!" the look Brimstone gave her finally broke through her facade the feeling of uselessness comng back as tears pricked at the corners of her eyes again. she was quick to move her head away, though she knew he saw. 

warm arms wrapped around her into a hug, and she let the tears fall, turning to hid her face in his shoulder and hug him back. "its okay kid.. let it out." Brimstone said softly, rubbing her back comforting the young engineer in his arms. No matter how bright, or smart, or even battle hardened the egnieer was, she was still just a kid, bearly in her 20s. she was fighting in a war now beyond her, and now with the Omega incident and the diffuser there was a lot more pressure on the kids shoulder. slowly her cries slowed down, and her breathing evened out, indicated that she had fallen asleep. Brimstone chuckled softly, happy that the Egnieer was finally getting sleep, but saddened that it took crying to get her to sleep.  Picking her up softly he walks out of the workshop and to Klaras room, laying the young egineer on her bed. "get some sleep killjoy, we have your back remeber that.." He whispered before leaving, heading to his office to make sure files were done. 

Viper had walked in, anger clear on her face, and headed straight for Brimstones desk. her appearnce was extremely disheavled, with her suit torn in a few places and acraps bleeding freely. He looked up, not fazed by her entrence and studied his friend. "what can i do for you Viper?" "dont act dense Brimstone. we nearly had another Veince incident but lucikly Raze was able to stop Omega from planting." Brimstone raised a eyebrow at that. if they stopped the spike from being planted then why was she upset. "okay? but you stopped it so we are fine. so why are you so pissed?" Brimstone stated giving the Chemist his full attention. "is Killjoy done with the defuser?! we cant keep getting this close! what would happen if they planted. we would have no way to defuse it! she had been holed up in that workshop for 3 days, surly she has even a prototype!" Viper almost yelled, glaring at brimstone. "surly your little "protge" can come up with SOMETHING to help us. or was all that stuff you said about her fake?" Brimstone tensed at that. Brim treated the egineer like a daughter, even before she joined the protocol. he knew the egnieer was much smarter than anyone could ever know, and she could completly make the deffuser. 

but the state she was in when Brimstone went to check on her, worried him completly.  she wasnt used to this much pressuer being put on her. she was suddenly just thrown into this fight, without any previous knowledge of fighting. With Viper Glaring him down though, he didnt want to bring up the state she was in. "Killjoy is more than capable of making the deffuser. she just needs alittle more time." Viper just scoffed and pushed off the desk and throwing her hands in the air. "then why hasnt she made one yet hm?! is shes so 'capable' it should be done by now. so where is it, or better question where is the egnieer herself?" Brimstone bristled at that. despite Viper being his friend, he wouldn't tolerate anyone delittling the egnieer. "She is having trouble okay? you.... didnt see the state he was in ealier Viper. Shes in over her head right now, and she doesnt even have a prototype.." Viper seemed to have visable calm as brimstone talked. the worry in his voice getting through to the usually heartless chemist.  taking a deep breathe Viper relented. "okay.. okay shes having trouble. but shes had three days Brim, and if she doesnt even have a prototype how can we know she will be reliable?" "shes reliable Sabine. but you have to remeber, this is the first time she needed to make a defuser, and without seeing the spike she cant figure out a way to st-" the doors wooshed open, cutting off Brim and having both of them turn to see the newcomer. 

"i-im sorry about what happend brim.. i was overworked and stressed and i just wor- oh.." the engineer in question had walked in looking at her feet as she apologized though looked up to see Viper was in the office as well. "Killjoy." Viper said simply nodding her head to the engineer, who gave a half wave back. Viper could see the toll of what  nonstop working has done to the usually bubbly agents form and stance. her eyes had deep and dark eyebags, her hair was ruffled, and clothes wrinkled. oil and other things stained the simple graphic tee and pants she wore, and she was slouched, fighting to keep her eyes open. "Killjoy, you should still be resting kid," Brimstone said softly, rounding the desk to bring the young engineer into a hug, and braking her from the stare she had on the chemist. "i-i know.. i was gunna eat something then get some more rest... but i might just start working again to get it up.." killljoy mumbled softly, relaxing in her fathers hug. 

"killjoy. get some sleep and something to eat. when you are better rested meet me at my lab. i will assit you in getting the defuser to work okay?" Viper said simply, seeing how much it weighed on the young engineer. she had puled away to stare at the chemist with wide eyes. "y-your serious..? but why?" Viper sighed, annoyed at the young girls obliviousness but answered regardless. " becuase you are so overworked. and you will need help from someone whos seen the spike up close." Killjoy stared for  a bit longer before nodding. "okay.. thank you viper.." viper only nodded before brushing past the two and dissapers out the door. "go eat then rest Klara.. you will need all the energy you can get." Klara just nodded and headed out of the door and towards the kitchen. already ready to sleep for a long time.