Chapter 3

it took the young engineer 3 additional days to finally get a prototype. she hasnt left her workshop in those three days, choosing instead to get the diffuser done as fast as possible, and though she was exhausted, she was proud. a little handheld machine stood proudly on her desk. a simple design resembling a gun, though the screen facing the holder, showed the time left to defuse. she had no way of testing it, not unless she went on a mission to stop a plant but she had confidence that it would work. she pushed away from her desk, stretching her back and feeling satisfying pops. looking around her desk she noticed the plate full of food, along with a water. suddenly confused, though thankful she started eating the plate, making a face from the taste of the cold food, but happy to eat something. 

she made her way to the kitchen, empty plate in hand as she walked the hallways. she spotted the white haired Duelists up ahead, fighting with the hotheaded brit ahead of her. before she could decide if she should join in, or just leave them be, Jett had spotted her. "HEY! the little german is free from her cage!" Killjoy pulled a face but speed up slightly to join them. "hey, what did i miss while i was 'in my cage'?" As Jett started going into a rant about what she missed, Killjoy noticed Phoenix watching her. As soon as Jett finished her spewl Phoenix finally spoke. "what were you doing in your workshop anyway bruv?" Killjoy  stuttered trying to thnk of a response. she didnt know how much Brimstone told the others of the protcol that she was working on a defusser, so she didnt want to get herself or any other agent into trouble. 

"well?" Pheonix prompted, pulling killjoy from her head, who started blankly at phoenix. "h-huh oh.. just upgrading my stuff again, gotta make sure everything is good before a mission no?" Pheonix raised a eyebrow at the engineer, but decided to drop it seeing how tired the Egninner was. when they reached the Mess hall they were surprised to see Raze sitting at a table, watching something on her phone. Jett and Pheonix were quick to join the bomb expert, leaving killjoy standing at the entrance. Viper, sage, and Omen were sitting at a table closets to the entrance, and all three of their heads had turned to look at the new arrivals. Raze had called out to Jett and Pheonix, calling them over. Killjoy stood awkwardly before walking in quickly, grabbig a random fruit from the bowl and heading back to the entrence, just wanting to sleep, when Raze called out. "ay Amiga, come on and join us! dont be a loner!" 

The words had Killjoy pause and look over at the duelist. all three were looking over at her, smilig wide and beckoning her over. she bit her lip trying to decide if she should go over there, or just go straight to her room to sleep. finally the pull of sleep won over her brain and she just turned rushing out of the room. "oi, whats up with her?" Pheonix stated watching killjoy leave with a sour expression. "i mean she had been locked in the workshop for nearly 3 days.. shes probably just tired.." Jett said as she turned to the fire duelist. Raze had yet to pull her eyes away from the spot the engineer was, eyes furrowed as she thought. "she is also new, she could be overwhelmed." she said finally, turning her attention to Jett and Pheonix, who had their eyes on her. "what?" the other two duelist shared a glance, both flashing a scary smirk, before turning back to the bomb expert. "what?!" raze said geting impaitent with her friends. "ohhhh maybe becuase you seemed to gather a liking for a certian.... engineer." Jett said with a smirk, waching as a slight blush grew on Raze's face. "shut up Jett. anyway..." 

Killjoy took a detour and headed to Brimstones office to tell him of the diffuser. she hoped she would have some way to test it before a mission came up, so she could work out the kinks, but knew better than to hope. knocking on the door she opened it to find her adopted father hunched at his desk looking over papers. he had looked up as she walked in and smiled at the engineer. "ah killjoy, what can i do for you kiddo?" Killjoy smiled and pit into her fruit, taking the time to gather her tierd thoughts. after swallowing the bite she answered the question. "i finished the diffuser.. i dont have a solid way to test it.. not without going into the field and putting it to the test... though that could be risky and could end up with the site looking like venice.." she cut herself from her rambling, stifling back a yawn. "okay.. yu know i trust you though so if you feel like you need to test it on the field i will send you out with the next mission against Omega, but if it ends up like a venice incident i need you to get out of there. i will not risk any agents lves trying to get it to work so the second it looks like it wont work you get out of there understand?" Killjoy nodded, knowing her guardian was just looking out for her and the other agents. Brimstone studied the egnineer for a second before speaking again. "go get some rest Klara, did you not sleep at all?" Killjoy rubed her neck, embraced to be called out. "n-no.. not since figuring out how to build the defusser.." Brimstone sighed softly and nodded. "go sleep then, im proud of you for getting it done but you shouldnt be losing sleep." Killjoy just nodded and turned opening the door and heading out, though not before saying a goobye to her adopted father, and after closing the door heads straight for her own to finally get some well needed sleep.