5

In the refined ambiance of the Rodristo family breakfast, Jeston found himself under the watchful scrutiny of his parents, each bearing their own expectations and concerns.

As the morning light bathed the room in a golden glow, Jeston's father broached the subject that lingered in the air. "Jeston, I heard you were seen dancing with Sarah McCalister last night," he stated, his tone laced with suspicion.

Jeston's response was carefully crafted, a delicate dance between truth and evasion. "It was merely a coincidence, Father," he explained, his voice betraying a hint of unease. "She happened to be the only one left, and I couldn't find anyone else to dance with."

His father's expression darkened with disapproval, his words laden with disdain. "Be careful, Jeston. The McCalisters are trouble," he warned, his voice dripping with contempt. "Self-centered and obnoxious. You better not engage with them."

Jeston, however, couldn't help but defend Sarah. "Dad, I think Sarah is different," he insisted. "She's calm and graceful."

Jeston's attempts to defend Sarah were met with a stern rebuke from his father. "Don't defend her," he admonished, his tone unforgiving. "If you ever take their side against us, you'll no longer be my son."

Feeling the weight of his father's disapproval, Jeston could only offer a subdued apology. "Sorry, Dad," he muttered, his gaze cast downwards in shame.

His mother echoed his father's sentiments, her words tinged with bitterness. "She's exactly like her mother," she remarked, her tone dripping with disdain. "Evil. I've never seen anyone so rude and self-centered."

Jeston's grandmother, however, offered a different perspective, her voice cutting through the tension like a knife. "Perhaps you should look at yourselves in the mirror before casting judgment," she suggested, her words tinged with reproach.

Her remark was met with rolled eyes and dismissive gestures from Jeston's parents, their disapproval evident in their disdainful expressions.

As the breakfast conversation continued, Jeston's mother turned her attention to another matter, her disapproval evident in her tone. "And where was Switzel?" she inquired, her gaze fixed on her son. "Why didn't you approach her?"

Jeston shifted uncomfortably in his seat, feeling the weight of his mother's expectations bearing down on him. "She was dancing with Veleno," he admitted reluctantly, knowing his answer would not satisfy his parents.

His mother sighed in disappointment, her disappointment evident in her tone. "You should have made more of an effort, Jeston," she scolded gently. "Switzel is a much better match for you than any McCalister."

Jeston's grandmother cleared her throat, breaking the tense silence that had settled over the breakfast table. "Well, I also heard that Switzel spilled wine on Sarah," she remarked casually, her eyes flicking between Jeston and his parents.

Liam, Jeston's  brother, nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I heard about that too," he chimed in. "But I think it was just an accident. Switzel's actually really kind."

Jeston arched an eyebrow skeptically at his brother's defense. "Kind?" he echoed, his tone betraying his disbelief.

His mother interjected, her disapproval evident in her voice. "Yes, Jeston, she is kind and graceful, unlike Sarah McCalister," she asserted, her gaze fixed pointedly on Jeston. "Sarah and her mother seem like rude people, just like her mother."

Jeston's grandmother, ever the astute observer, couldn't resist making a pointed remark. "It seems like your mother still harbors some rivalry with Sarah's mother," she noted, her words tinged with subtle reproach.

Jeston's mother shot a glare at her mother-in-law, clearly uninterested in revisiting old grievances. "I don't," she replied tersely, before turning her attention back to Jeston.

Sensing the tension escalating, Jeston attempted to defuse the situation. "Can we please stop this conversation?" he pleaded, his voice tinged with frustration.

But his father, unmoved by Jeston's plea, interjected firmly. "No, Jeston," he stated adamantly. "This conversation won't end until you stop lingering around Sarah McCalister."

With that final admonition hanging in the air, the breakfast table fell into an uneasy silence, each member of the family grappling with their own conflicting emotions and loyalties.