Stay for me

Bucky Barnes had feared that Steve would have choose to stay in the past with Peggy.

He was so happy to be wrong
_____________

Bucky was pacing the house, observing with insatiable curiosity every detail.

The curtains were cream-colored, and they covered the entire windows, overlooking a beautiful and well-kept garden. The furniture was mostly wooden and some of them looked very old.

"Do you like it?" He heard someone ask, spinning around to see Steve standing in front of him, looking at him with a smile on his face.

Bucky felt compelled to smile back. For a moment, he had been afraid that the other would choose to stay in the past, something in his eyes, something in his posture that assured him that he would never again see Steve as he was in that moment. He'd had the chance to stay with the woman he'd always loved, Peggy, who'd never forgotten him in return. Bucky had been sure that that would be the last time the two would ever have together, and they hadn't even been alone to say a proper goodbye.

Bucky's heart had wept and bled as he greeted his best friend, his brother , with their greeting line. " Don't do anything stupid until I get back ."

Part of him had hoped that Steve understood his fears and reassured him when the man answered. " How could I? You bring all the stupidity with you ."

And, he had been so happy and satisfied to realize that it had happened. Steve understood him and came back to him, for him .

"Come on, I'll show you the rest of the house. We have two floors and, it might surprise you, but they're not all the same."

Bucky laughed in amusement. Then, with a soft tone of voice, he said. "Thank you."

Steve looked at him curiously, not understanding what the other was referring to.

Bucky, taking a deep breath, explained. "For choosing me. I know you...that you love Peggy. I know I'm not her and you had every right to choose that life, the quiet life. I... I'm just grateful you chose this one."

"Bucky.." Steve shook his head. "The guy who wanted the quiet life with Peggy...I'm not that guy anymore. I still love her, she's the first woman I've ever loved and I'll never forget her. But...choosing you or her, it really wasn't a choice. You are my brother, Bucky. And we're together til the end of the line."

Bucky smiled.

They lived in a corrupt world, with nothing to help them and only with wars and famines. Gone was the safety of the black and white of the 1940s. Now it was all shades of gray.

They were also Captain America and The Winter Soldier (or whatever the media and S.H.I.E.L.D. would decide to call him now), and that brought responsibility for both of them.

But just being there with Steve made Bucky believe he was living in his own personal utopia.

If this is a dream, don't wake me

______________________