40. Not Good at Goodbyes

TW: Heavy chapter in general. Brace yourself. The song is how I imagined the chapter would feel when put to music. Give it a listen.

Minnow's POV

I knew she wasn't going to show up. If I was her, I wouldn't either.

Most of the evening had consisted of pleasantries. Speeches by the coaches and captain--my man--as a way to celebrate the start of the season. Families were seated at different tables and I met so many of the other girlfriends and wives.

Almost all of them had a child or like 4. It made me realize Søren and I hadn't talked about kids yet and seeing that most of the women I'd met were my age or two years older, sooner better than later.

But maybe it was too early to discuss family planning. I wasn't sure what page or chapter we were on. I'd look insane if I mentioned kids now when we'd barely been together two weeks.

Noah and Justin were on edge most of the night, speaking in hushed tones and looking over their shoulder. Dickyi jumped every time her phone buzzed and Kane was quiet as usual, watching her carefully.

The whole group's dynamic seemed to be tilted off its axis. Sabina's vibrant energy was missing.

Davis seemed calmer and less stressed. I think seeing Søren and I together in public made him relax a bit. Honestly, we looked like we'd been together for way longer than a week.

It was probably because Søren held my hand constantly and kept whispering that I looked pretty into my ear. I was smiling like an idiot. I laughed at every stupid joke he made and he kept kissing me on the cheek randomly.

I'd be sick of us too.

I touched up my makeup in the bathroom mirror and headed into the hallway, passing a few of the waitstaff.

My dress trailed on the floor and I had to grab the side, as I hurried back. I was pretty sure I'd taken a wrong turn somewhere. The building was too big for me to know if I was headed in the right direction.

"Are you lost?"

I jilted to the side as a man appeared behind me. My hand landed on my chest as I let out a breath.

He held two hands up and wore a smile. "Sorry."

"No, it's fine," I laughed. "I didn't see you and I'm jumpy. Yes, I'm lost."

"I don't know why they make the bathrooms so far from the actual dining hall," He commented, his dimples distracting me. He was white, tall, and built, with brown wavy hair neatly combed.

Something about him felt familiar like we'd spoken before. But I couldn't place it. He had one of those faces though.

"Are you here for family day too?" I asked, trying to kill the silence as he led us back to the main hall.

"Yeah, I play on the team."

"Oh, nice to meet you," I said, holding my hand out.

He smiled ear to ear, taking my hand carefully in his and shaking it. "I'm Hughes."

"Minnow."

"I know," He said with a meaningful tone. "I know who you are. Søren's wife right?"

Fiancé? Wife? Sort of girlfriend? It was getting too hard to track who we were lying to at this point.

But I'm not going to lie and say that butterflies didn't fill my stomach as I said, "Yes, I'm his wife."

"Nice to finally meet you." He said it like he'd been looking for me. "Søren talks about you all the time."