7

Rahul did not fight with them after they got out of the car. He meekly went with what they wanted. But that isn't to say, he had given up. He just needed a smarter way out. Had he been smarter about this back at the hotel itself, they wouldn't be here. He blamed it on the throbbing of his head to not have thought it through, to have revealed so much in his panic. But now, now he had no choice but to dig his nails in his palms and force himself to think.

Whatever happens, Sourav, Sachin and Anil could never see his shoulders. That was the first step. Then he could figure out a way to deal with the hospital staff.

He had to admit that they were very efficient. Within ten fifteen minutes, Rahul found himself in a private ward with Sachin giving the nurse his details. Anil was talking to the doctor while Sourav stood silently by his side. Rahul looked up hesitantly at his brother's impassive face, he was about to hurt this man further. But Rahul was like that. Toxic to the people around him. Sourav shouldn't have cared about him, it only caused pain. Sourav felt his gaze and looked down at him. Rahul instantly averted his gaze. He couldn't meet those eyes. He didn't deserve to meet those eyes. He felt a soft hand carressing the back of his head. It was all Rahul could do to not lean into it. To not soak up the comfort of having Sourav around. Of having Sourav care. He wished he deserved it but he didn't.

The doctor walked upto him, a soft smile on her face, "Hello Rahul. I'm Dr. Sally. Your friend here told me you were involved in an altercation?"

Rahul nodded.

"Can you tell me where all you are hurt?"

Rahul cleared his throat, his voice felt hoarse, "H-head and um-my my chest,".

"Is that it?" she asked, her eyes seemed to be peering into Rahul's soul as if trying to draw the complete truth out.

Rahul frowned confused, had he missed anything? Oh right the jaw.

"M-My jaw?"

He didn't know what conclusion the woman drew from his answer but she hmmed and noted something down on her clipboard.

She turned back to him, "Please take your shirt off,".

Well, here starts the difficult part. He drew a breath, "Do they need to be here for it?"

Sourav shifted beside him, the hand dropping away from his head, "Rahu-"

"I can choose right? Who can be here," Rahul ignored him though his eyes were stinging.

Dr. Sally looked at him and then looked at the hurt faces of his friends.

"Ofcourse you can choose," she answered, "I would recommend you have someon-"

"No," Rahul purposely did not glance in Sourav's direction, he could feel the hurt without looking, "No. I don't want them here, any of them,".

It was completely silent. And then Sourav stormed out, Sachin followed him turning back to shoot Rahul a disappointed look. Anil didn't move.

"Rahul-"

"She said it's my choice,".

Anil looked at him disappointed but stepped out of the door too. Rahul breathed out shakily and closed his eyes, trying to ignore the pain in his heart. There. Step one done. He felt dizzy all of a sudden.

"Are you okay sir?" Dr. Sally's voice had him opening his eyes again.

Rahul blinked hard, trying to get rid of the bright spots, "Y-yeah. Am fine,".

She regarded him skeptically for a moment but moved on. Keeping her clipboard down she gestured, "Shirt,".

It was more painful than it had any right to be, taking off his shirt. His arms were bruised, he was only just noticing. Probably happened when he had tried protecting his head from Greg's swinging bat. The nurse had to help him out of it in the end. Rahul finally slid his arm out and let the shirt fall. He knew what was coming, there was no way they would miss it. 

Just as he predicted as soon as his shoulder's came in sight, there was a sharp inhalation. He didn't know whether it was the doctor or the nurse.

And then a quiet voice asked the dreaded question, "Are you a cutter?"