Chapter 1

When the housekeeper Gao from the Duke of Rongguo's residence came to summon someone, Bao Ning was sitting on the kang playing with the puppy she had just raised.

A few days ago, the big yellow dog raised by Zhang in the kitchen had just given birth to a litter of puppies. However, Zhang had returned to her hometown to retire, and in the cold weather of the first month, the mother dog died after only a few days, leaving only one puppy alive from the litter. Bao Ning carried it back to the house.

Incense was lit in the room, and a faint fragrance of sandalwood wafted through the air. Bao Ning leaned against the soft cushion, feeding the little puppy spoonfuls of milk.

Gao stood at the doorway, pursing her lips. She thought to herself, people always say that the Fifth Miss of the Xu family's courtyard has been absent-minded since she was a child, completely unambitious. She was born with a beautiful face, but now, it seems like those words are true. It's already this late, nearing her marriageable age, yet she still hasn't settled her marriage. She should follow the example of the Sixth Miss and quickly please the mistress to gain favor, striving to marry a respectable husband in the future. Instead, she spends all her time in this small courtyard, treating herself like a dog-mother.

Although she didn't like it, she still had to be respectful on the surface. Gao lightly knocked on the door three times. "Fifth Miss, the mistress is asking you to go to the Yimei Garden. It's urgent, so please hurry."

Bao Ning raised her head, surprise written all over her delicate face. "Mother is looking for me?"

Gao nodded. "Yes, and Madam Xu has also been summoned. They're on their way, and Master is also there."

Bao Ning was even more surprised.

The Duchess of the Duke's household had always been at odds with her aunt because the Duchess had no children of her own, and the only boy in the house was born to her aunt, named Ji Yun, who was twelve years old this year. The Duchess felt that her aunt threatened her position, so over the years, she hadn't shown any kindness to them, finding their presence bothersome. Why the sudden change today?

Bao Ning thought, there must be something going on.

She nodded and said, "Wait a moment," then called for a maid to come in to fix her hair and dress. In a hurry, she left the room.

As she walked out of the courtyard gate, Bao Ning reminded, "Don't forget to feed the puppy, and when Ji Yun comes back from school, keep him away from my dog."

The maid smiled and replied, "Miss, rest assured."

Bao Ning adjusted her clothes, smiled, and then walked away.

Gao watched her figure as she left, shaking her head. She muttered to herself, "She's really hopeless, always thinking about dogs. She's not even as good as our Fourth Miss by half a finger."

...

Along the way, Bao Ning kept thinking about why the Duchess had summoned her. She wondered why there was such a big fuss. Could it be that someone was coming to propose marriage?

But upon further thought, it seemed unlikely.

Over the years, there had been many matchmakers coming to the door, mostly legitimate sons from small families or illegitimate sons from noble families, all with good character and considered suitable matches. However, the Duchess had turned them all away, claiming that the Fifth Miss Bao Ning was still young and not in a hurry, wanting to carefully choose a husband for her.